Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer building tips

• Please log in to reply

wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I am trying to build my own computer. I was just wondering if there is anything I should be careful to do or to not do and if there are any tips to not screwing up. Also, I would appreciate links to step-by-step guides for how to assemble everything.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
basically the most important step is choosing the parts. the right combination of parts sets imediately how the system is going to turn out, we here can help you choose parts, but most of it should be your own choosing first so you can say that this system was designed and built by you, which is the most joy in building your own computer. also i would first recommend browsing though the "system building" forum here, where you can see many peoples problems on thier first builds, and here are also discussions on which parts to buy as well. if you live in the united states, i recommend http://www.newegg.com as a store to buy your parts, they have very good prices, and a wide selection, and fast shipping. also very easy to find what you're looking for. good luck!

RuddyRum

RuddyRum

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Something to definatly look out for is compatability... eg. even though a mobo may have a 775 socket, it may not support all 775 pinned CPU's. Best thing to do is find a mobo with the features you want, then go on the manufacturers website, and check the compatability of the components you wish to install!

Also decide wether you want an ATX or BTX system, as different chassis & heatsinks will be required. i have had many people buy a BTX board, and then wonder why it wont fit into an ATX chassis, and why the fan provided with the CPU wont fit the holes, etc etc....

If you are new to intigrating, i would recommend thoroughly reading through the user guide you recieve with the components you buy. this will pretty much provide a step by step guide for the device you will be installing!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is a good read on building a computer.

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm

SRX660

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
My personal opinion is to find a mobo / case combo. Trying to read through mobo directions to hook up peripherals can be quite troublesome. A mobo / case combo makes it simplier. If you are like me I have multiple USB, FireWire, parallel, serial, etc so trying to connect all of those can be a pain. But good luck with it and remember, you cant learn until you try.