Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB wipeout

• Please log in to reply

Zenon7

Zenon7

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi Everyone,
I'm really in a bind here. I was installing a new USB printer (Epson) and for whatever reason Windows could not see the printer. After a couple of install tries, something has gone nuts and now I have some really funky USB issues. As I write this I am amazed my keyboard is working because it's wireless and the receiver is..USB. But my wireless mouse doesn't work at all. I've tried to plug in a USB mouse and no ports seem to work - or at least the devices (mouse and hub) are not being recognized, and if they are Windows can't seem to find the drivers (hub). I'm beginning to think I have some sort of USB conflict because I couldn't install my son's Ipod on this machine either - it just wouldn't install the drivers properly. And I had a horrible time with that, and now the printer is shaping up to be another big problem.
I'm sorry I'm probably not being very clear, but I'm a wit's-end and with no mouse poking around to troubleshoot has been difficult at best. I did manage to choose a system restore point from yesterday but this hasn't fixed this USB problem.
I'm running XP sp2 on a Dell Dimension 8300, 1.5gb ram
I have connected via USB a hub, which has a card reader attached. The wireless receiver is plugged into a USB port on the computer. The receiver is lit (and hence the keyboard works) but the mouse does not. I tried to reset that in the mouse options to the proper mouse to no avail.
Other than that I have a Digidesign MBox (which is being reconized, oddly enough).
I have also installed (for years with no problems) a firewire card that also has a couple of USB ports on them.
So, the crux of it is that I can't seem to get the mouse to work, the hub, nor the printer.
Help....
Thanks in advance,
Graeme

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Begin by clicking start, right clicking my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, look for USB controllers, click the + then click each entry, right click, click remove, confirm, continue until it is clear, do the same thing with the mouse, reboot

Epson prefer the anti virus off with the printer connected but not switched on until prompted during installation

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks Keith - hard to do without a mouse though! I did it, slowly with my keyboard. Rebooted, and as each USB controller is found the wizard pops up . . .and then is unable to install, over and over. So, I'm still USB-less. . .ideas? Thanks,
Graeme

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Zenon7...

Let's try something...

Disconnect all USB devices except the keyboard...if the keyboard is USB, it should be the only thing plugged in to a USB port on the machine. Reboot. Now connect the USB mouse to a port on the machine...no hub yet. Does your machine detect the mouse?

wannabe1

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi, thanks. Just tried that and USB mouse doesn't get recognized at all.
Graeme

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Dell say this

http://support.dell....26DEEE015C0D596

There are a few steps

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...we know more about where the problem isn't.

Can you open Device Manager and see what is listed under the USB catagory and list them (if any) here for me?

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi, as of now I have:
Under other devices with (the question mark) I have Unversal Serial Bus (USB) controller four times with yellow question marks and the black exclamation points on top of them.
Under Universal Serial Bus Controller heading I have the same thing but the exclamation marks are on top of the USB symbols.
Thanks,Graeme

Edited by Zenon7, 20 March 2006 - 07:19 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Select one of the controllers, and view the properties. From the Properties window, try to update the drivers. We may be installing some chipset drivers... :tazz:

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, in a twist I can only describe as troubling...I got a blue screen of death when rebooting. But, next time I re-booted....everything seems to be working again. Mouse, USB hub...
Hmmm, an intermittent problem does not sound good. I think I shall spend the remainder of my evening making sure all my main drive stuff is properly backed-up.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It may have had conflicting drivers trying to load. How do things look in Device Manager now?

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
All looks fine, no exclamation marks or anything. This is really strange though.
I guess when I try and install the printer I'll make sure my AV is turned off to start. But first, backup!
Thanks for the help and speedy responses. If I do run into the problem again should I repost a new thread or continue this one?
Thanks again.
Graeme

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just come on back to this thread if it is the same problem.

Reinstalling the drivers as you did should take care of the problem, though. :tazz:

wannabe1

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
So the plot thickens!
I still cannot install the Epson printer which was my first issue before I lost all my USB ports. Now that they seem to be working (at least with previously installed stuff) I thought I'd try the printer again.
Same story, will not install. Out of deperation (and to rule out the actual printer as being faulty) I tried it on my laptop. Nooo problem, installed like a breeze.
So this brings me back to my desktop. As an aside, I could not for the life of me install my son's Ipod Nano on my desktop either - I have an older Ipod and have never had a problem. The Nano too installed just fine on my laptop. At the time I just sort of blew it off, but now I'm thinking I'm having a problem installing anything new USB-wise.
My device manager shows no question marks or exclamation marks. . .
Help, again...! :tazz:
Cheers,
Graeme

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Sorry, just a three day bump... :whistling: