Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB wipeout

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need to put the printer type and model in here

http://esupport.epso....aspx?lng=en-GB

Then use the contact us options to use e-talk which gives you one-to-one with an Epson technician

Advertisements

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I don't think it's got anything to do with the printer...as I said above I couldn't install an Ipod either and the printer installed no problem on a different machine. Seems for whatever reason my USB ports don't want to recognize anything that's new. But I'll give that a try...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Please download, install, and run WinAudit. Save a report to your desktop in HTML format. This will create 3 files...I'm interested in the one named "rightframe.html". Attach that file to an e-mail to me (I'll PM you with my addy).

Has SP2 been installed on this machine?

wannabe1

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Epson may be able to pinpoint why the printer cannot install

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to install the printer by linking to Epson site and downloading the driver. I don't know about Epson but lately I had a very similar problem with a new HP printer. I just couldn't install it with the cd driver. Eventually I downloaded from HP, in the process performing a hardware check (optional by HP) which found that something was amiss, offered a repair and kept installing the printer without a glitch.

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Epson may be able to pinpoint why the printer cannot install

Wishful thinking...they blamed Dell, Dell blames them. Around the circle goes...

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Try to install the printer by linking to Epson site and downloading the driver. I don't know about Epson but lately I had a very similar problem with a new HP printer. I just couldn't install it with the cd driver. Eventually I downloaded from HP, in the process performing a hardware check (optional by HP) which found that something was amiss, offered a repair and kept installing the printer without a glitch.

Yup, tried that but the downloaded install didn't see the printer either. That's about when Epson gave up and said it was a computer problem and not the printer - which I think is right because I did install it on my laptop with no issues at all.
Cheers.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try a couple of things...

First, let's start the Windows Installer Service (currently stopped). Click Start, then Run, type services.msc, and click "Ok". Scroll down the list to Windows Installer and double-click on it. In the "Startup Type" dropdown menu, select "Automatic" and then click the "Start" button to start the service. Click "Apply" then "Ok". Close the Services dialog window.

Second, uninstall the software for the printer if you have not already done so, from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Then empty the Prefetch Folder...Click Start, then Run, type prefetch, and click "Ok". Click on "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All"...right-click on a file in the Prefetch folder and choose "Delete". Close the Prefetch folder.

Third, let's get rid of all the Temporary Files. Double-click "My Computer" then double-click the "C: Drive". Open the "Temp" folder (if present), and delete everything in the folder. Close the Temp folder.

Then make sure there are no printers showing in "Printers and Faxes" in Control Panel. If there are any printers listed, right-click on them and choose "Delete"...accept the deletion.

Finally, power the machine OFF, disconnect all USB devices other than your mouse and keyboard, and restart. During the boot sequence, enter the BIOS Setup (usually by tapping the F1 or Delete key...it should say which key you need to press to "Enter Setup" at the bottom of the first screen). Locate and Enable "Legacy USB Support" (currently disabled), Save your changes (F10) and exit BIOS Setup. The machine should boot to Windows.

Try to install the printer software before connecting the printer...follow the prompts. If you are not prompted to connect the printer during the software installation, power the machine OFF once the software has installed. Connect the printer (only...not the card reader or USB Hub) and power back ON. Does the system detect the printer and install it?

Let me know how this goes.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 26 March 2006 - 06:42 PM.

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Wannabe1:
Did the Windows installer service
Unistalled the software, emptied pre-fetch folder
Emptied Temp folder
Removed the sole remaining fax receiver/printer from the printers folder, it's empty
Checked the BIOS and legacy support was already enabled (you thought it was disabled, maybe I looked in the wrong place but there isn't much in the BIOS to get confused over)
Tried again to install printer with everything but mouse/keyboard unplugged

Still got exactly the same thing - Epson installer can't see the printer, Windows found new hardware says it can't find anything about the printer. I've also tried running the installer that you can download from Epson, and I've tried pointing windows found new hardware to the CD, the old installer folder and the new installer folder.
Coincidently (I think not...) I am now getting prompted to install a Windows update for my mouse everytime I go to shut down. I keep installing it, it keeps asking...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The mouse update prompt is probably caused by the Windows Installer Service. You can go back into Services and Stop that service and set it to Manual as Startup Type.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Click on the "Startup" tab and then on the "Disable All" button. "Apply" the change and click "Ok". Reboot.

Upon restarting, you will get a Selective Startup dialog box. This is normal...click "Ok". Now try to install the printer.

Advertisements

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi....no go. Still same thing, I made sure the anti-virus wasn't running too, so nothing was started up.
Exactly the same as before.... :blink: :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: That makes two of us...

Let me do a little more research and get back to you.

wannabe1

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks very much wannabe1, I appreciate it. I'll never get this licked on my own! :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have the motherboard drivers, which you should have gotten with your computer, reinstall the drivers. Most important are USB 2.0 and chipset drivers. If you don't have the disk download and install Everest Home Edition (link in my signature), run it, press "computer", identify the model of the motherboard and download from Dell the necessary drivers.

If this doesn't help then I would go for a repair installation of windows (a link in my signature). Before performing a repair please use the disk cleaner to remove un-necessary files and defrag your HD.

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Tried the motherboard drivers, downloaded from Dell. No cigar!
So I guess I'll try the Windows repair tonight...will advise on results.