Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Very slow new PC

• Please log in to reply

ericparcher

ericparcher

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all,

Here's the deal - went out and bought an Asus Pundit-R barebones kit, P4 3E CPU, Maxtor 200 GB HDD (IDE), 512 Kingston Ram, LG DVD burner.

Trying to install XP, the process has now taken in excess of four hours - the CD is recognized, the install procedure begins but when the time comes to copy files / install files it is unusually slow.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've built many systems in the past and never encountered a problem like this!

Thanks, in advance, for all help,
Eric.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
have you booted up before fine? without an operating system can you see your bios? make sure the tempretures are under normal conditions, also what format are you installing on (NFTS, FAT32) and when you format your drive make sure you did it under Normal NFTS and not quick mode :tazz:

ericparcher

ericparcher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Answer to your questions:

Yes, before the OS was installed I could access the bios, all temps were normal.

Drive formatted for NTFS, formatted under Normal mode

This problem starts in the early stages of loading XP, specifically, transition from the initial blue screen to the Set Up screen took close to 1/2 hr.

Cheers,
E.

have you booted up before fine? without an operating system can you see your bios? make sure the tempretures are under normal conditions, also what format are you installing on (NFTS, FAT32) and when you format your drive make sure you did it under Normal NFTS and not quick mode :tazz:

View Post

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Try a different hd if you can, sounds like a bad drive.

Rick

gtippery

gtippery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
If you're getting lots of read retry attempts it might cause what you're seeing. Can you tell from the lights whether either the DVD or the HD very is busy while it's going so slow?

You might check the XP install CD on another machine to see if there are problems reading it. You could also test the new DVD drive on another machine if it has any IDE (I presume) channels unassigned. I frequently just lay the drive being tested on or beside the host machine rather than physically installing it.

Failing all that, check the BIOS setup for the drives. They could be set to an inappropriate mode. Though if the HD formatted normally, it should be OK. Was there any problem booting the install CD?

If the HD and DVD are currently on the same IDE cable/controller, that will slow things down, but not as much as you're seeing.

ericparcher

ericparcher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Rick,

Tried that - no luck.

I sat down and timed the beginning of the XP Setup procedure - this is what happens:

Very beginning, files load fine. Computer sits at Setup is starting windows screen for 7 minutes before progressing to the next screen, Windows XP Professional Setup screen with the prompts to setup XP now press enter, to repair press R, to quit press F3.

I have built dozens of PC's during my time as a Sys Admin and have never encountered a problem like this. Any other ideas?

So far I have also tried with a different DIMM and a different burner.

I can only guess that something is wrong with the mobo but have no idea what.

I'd really appreciate any more suggestions...

Cheers,
Eric.

Hi,

Try a different hd if you can, sounds like a bad drive.
Rick

View Post

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea mobo or cpu, I know you tried different ram but are you sure it is good maybe memtest it but I don't think it is ram because usually with bad ram it will crash.

I guess the only thing you could do is swap out the mobo and or cpu.

sorry couldn't be more help

Rick

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I saw what you said about the temps but will add this anyway. A P4 will automaticaly slow down if it starts to overheat. It's a built in safety feature....

ericparcher

ericparcher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Problem solved - bad motherboard. Thanks to all who offered advice.

Cheers,
Eric.

I saw what you said about the temps but will add this anyway.  A P4 will automaticaly slow down if it starts to overheat.  It's a built in safety feature....

View Post

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Thanx for leting us know

Rick