Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC WONT POWER UP

• Please log in to reply

pcsleuth

pcsleuth

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, Pc was working fine. I turned it off, then turned it on and it wont power up. Any ideas?

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi! And welcome to geeks to go.

If you are having power up problems, take out the back power cable from the PSU, and press the on button a few times. Then leave the PC for about 5 minutes (to drain all power). After this plug in the power cable, make sure the switch is set to | on the power supply, and press the on button. This should work, please tell me the outcome.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello pcsleuth and welcome to G2G!

Does the PC actually show any signs of life? beeps, lights, sounds etc..
Have you checked the fuse in the plug?
Is the power switch plugged in to the motherboard?

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 20 March 2006 - 07:52 AM.

pcsleuth

pcsleuth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your attention! I didn't know there was a fuse in the plug. Where would I find that? You aren't talking about the circuit breaker of the house right? You are talking about a fuse somewhere within the pc? If so, where? It shows absolutely no signs of life, no led, no sounds but I checked all points for power and the correct power is available throughout the Mobo. I also shorted the switch to no avail. Awaiting your reply, Pcsleuth

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The fuse all depends on what country you come from, here in the UK there's a fuse in the plug.
Have you tried a different power cable?
Do you have a spare power supply you could try?

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 21 March 2006 - 03:20 AM.

Mikail

Mikail

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi there pcsleuth

You can try this to check if if your powersupply is busted. First detach all the PSu cable including the one connected to the mobo (make sure all of it are detached from your unit), then get hold of the cable which connects to the board...short the wire that is colored green and black then plug the power cable behind the PSU then check if the PSU's fan is turning.....

By the way what did you mean by "but I checked all points for power and the correct power is available throughout the Mobo"?

regards

pcsleuth

pcsleuth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I do have a spare power supply I can try, but before doing so, I thought I would ask you guys if you could definitely determine whether it was a power supply problem. When I stated i checked all power points onthe motherboard, I meant I used a multimeter to check the individual voltages coming off the motherboard and the power harness originating from the power supply. All of the voltages checked out according to the manual included with the motherboard [manufacturer MSI]. I will try the power fan test as described above and get back to you. Could it be anything else? Thanks very much!