Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 98 stays in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

Grant1

Grant1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, AVG updated it's definition files and requested a reboot. After that it comes up every time in safe mode. I tried copying autoexec.bak on to autoexec.bat, after first saving it, but no joy. Any ideas?

I have just seen another posting and have tried scanreg/restore but it still prefers safemode!

Edited by Grant1, 20 March 2006 - 05:19 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC, keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose command prompt only, type scanreg /restore then press enter, select a date before the AVG update

Grant1

Grant1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I have selected a date prior to the AVG update but still no joy.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you boot the PC and choose safe mode with networking to download the latest version of AVG

http://www.filehippo...4b9b9e19491dc9/

uninstall the existing version

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

Install AVG

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Grant1

Grant1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'll try itnow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use another PC to do the downloading if you have to, burn the files to a RW disc and load them on to this one

Grant1

Grant1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I brought it up in safe mode with network support, but I could not get Mozilla or IE to find any thing. So I thought I might as well just de-install AVG anyway, I had already deselected it from the startup. Guess what, it came up all OK!!!

I will now do the rest of the things you have recommended, which will take quite a while, but please put this down as resolved and thanks a lot for your help :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know