Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless signal dropping periodically

• Please log in to reply

Primasapere

Primasapere

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
At college, I've gotten big into World of Warcraft at the suggestion of a couple friends, and fed my urge at will on campus, enjoying the high-speed connection as much as I can.

On breaks, I go home and set my computer up, connecting wirelessly to a family network based a couple rooms away. The speed is nothing special, but it runs, and I can do most things that need done in the game, but from time to time, I'll get disconnected from the game, requiring relogging in.

Now, it's nothing that I can't live with. It's just annoying, at the very most, and it irritates people that I play with.

I've noticed that the disconnection only occurs when calls come in on our phone, and it is cordless.

Right now, I'm at the university, and I've disconnected the wireless card from my computer, so I really can't test anything out. I couldn't really try disconnecting the phone when the problem was occurring, because the calls coming in weren't for me, for the most part.

If anyone can give me a heads up as to the fixes for this problem, lemme know.

As far as specifics and hardware goes, the internet connection is DSL through MSN, the router is Actiontec, the PCI wireless card was DLink, though I didn't use the software that came with it.

Everything ran fine while I was hardwired to the router, so I know it's the cordless phone that's ruining everything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

Primasapere

Primasapere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Since I'm here already, my girlfriend has been having trouble connecting her laptop wirelessly to the network, as well. It's a Toshiba, with the wireless card built in at the date of purchase. I've guided her as far as finding available networks and connecting to the one at my house, entering a password and everything.

However, despite the fact that it says she's connected, when she tries to open a webpage on her laptop, it displays a page that explains that a webpage couldn't be found, and gives her steps to follow to try to fix things.

The instructions on the webpage are nothing we didn't know, and everything seems to be in order, but she just can't open a webpage, despite her being seemingly connected.

I don't know if this could be a problem on my family computer's side, because my parents are pretty uppity about security, and tend to block anything that Norton says is trying to connect to them. I really just don't know where to check.

If you want me to make another topic, I can do that, too.

I apologize if I'm not being specific enough... my girlfriend is in Seattle, and I'm in college halfway across the country, neither of us being within a hundred miles of the network we're having trouble with, so I really can't test much.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I've noticed that the disconnection only occurs when calls come in on our phone, and it is cordless.

there are alot of cordless phones that opperate on the same frequency as a wireless setup....check your usersmanual for the router for changing the broadcast chanel on the router....that will probably clear that issue up..

as far as the second question....that one would be rally hard to fix without you having the machine in front of you and actually trying things while connected to the offending network

Primasapere

Primasapere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Alright, I'll take the advice on the router issue to heart for the upcoming summer break.

I guess I'll have to tackle the other issue next time it arises.

Thanks.