Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internt Explorer Gone? But Where?

• Please log in to reply

horlor44

horlor44

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
My Internet Explorer has Vanished ! ,no shortcut,no tray icon,not in Progs,windows explorer,or when using search. Ive tried to restore back a week,no good, still not there.Ive tried to re-install from my XP disc ,after adding with a tick in the box and a re-boot ,not there! but it must be somewhere cos when I downloaded a new version from MS it said " A newer Version was found setup will Exit" , and it launches for windows update in start menu..but I cannot access it for normal use ,Its Bizzare! Help Please

Advertisements

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Start > Run > type iexplore have u tried that?

Also, have you tried accessing a webpage using Windows Explorer? Just type a WEB ADDRESS on the Address bar and it should open the webpage.

horlor44

horlor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes tried that, its just as before..." a newer version..bla bla" it works when I go ..Start>Windows update>then delete whats in the address Bar and type a page in or use my Favs..its the,no shortcuts thing, that freakin me out..with nothing in the progs menu ,I cant create a shortcut , or can I ?Thanks for your help

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Yes, you can create a shortcut.

Just go to your homepage, and on the address bar, you'll see the IE icon. Just drag the small icon to your desktop it will serve as your shortcut.

Have u tried using a more secured browser like Firefox or Opera. You'll be in much better shape with these browsers than with IE. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Repair Internet Explorer 6

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP