Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot start windows xp

• Please log in to reply

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I cant get windows to start. I get the Emachines splash screen, then the blue windows xp home opens, then nothing happens...no music, nothing.

I tried to open in safe mode, but in XP I get hal.dll fille missing. Tried chkdsk /r, didnt work...( I had the restore disk from Emachines)

I tried to open in default windows, same blue windows screen, and nothing happens...

This happened after Aol spyware found a search bar, which it then blocked. I tried to open another application, but double clicking did nothing, not did clicking on my start button. So I restarted the computer and ........

HELP!!!!!!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Kelly's Korner has a article on the hal.dll.

http://www.kellys-ko...dll_missing.htm

SRX660

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks for that site, but I cannot get past the blue XP splash screen when I try to enter safe mode in default windows. This hal.dll file was missing a year ago, but never was an issue when rebooting.

I tried chkdsk/r already and the message was that it was completed, but I still get the same error message.

Is it possibly a virus causing this?? I have McAfee from AOL which is always running (at least I think it is!)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1. Configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

2. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

3. When you receive the Press any key to boot from CD message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.

4. When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

5. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you have to use from the Recovery Console.

6. When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

7. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /list, and then press ENTER. The entries in your current Boot.ini file appear on the screen.

8. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results.

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:

a. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y: Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

b. You receive a message that is similar to the following message: Enter Load Identifier

This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER.

This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

c. You receive a message that is similar to the following: Enter OS Load options

When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

9. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.

Your computer restarts, and the updated boot list appears when you receive the "Please select the operating system to start" message.

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I did all the above steps.

Now I have 2 operating systems to pick from. When I pick the top one, I do not get a missing dll file, but again I cannot get past the blue windows xp screen. (Again).

When I pick the 2nd, I get the dll error.

I cannot open in safe mode at all.

I tried last good config, but still cannot get past that blue screen (is this the new "blue screen of death"?)

I have to laugh, or I will cry

JacobAtDell

JacobAtDell

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

XP FREEZES AT STARTUP

Resolution # 1

Use System Restore to recover from a corrupt registry.

At the Press any key to boot from CD prompt, perform the following steps:

1. Press the <Spacebar>.
The Windows Setup screen appears and several files are loaded.

2. Press the <R> key.

3. If prompted, select the number corresponding to the Windows installation you would like to log on to (usually C:\WINDOWS).

4. Press the <Enter> key.

5. Enter the Administrator password (if any) and press the <Enter> key on the keyboard.
The C:\WINDOWS> prompt appears.

NOTE:
If the system fails to boot, the following method of recovery is not possible.

NOTE:
If a message Access Denied is displayed while attempting this fix, perform the following steps:

1. Type cd \ and press the <Enter> key.

2. Type cd windows\system32\config and press the <Enter> key.

3. Type ren system system.bak and press the <Enter> key.

4. Type exit and press the <Enter> key.

5. Restart the computer.

6. Continue troubleshooting below.

To copy the restore point in the recovery console, perform the following steps:

1. Type cd \ and press the <Enter> key.

2. Type cd system~1
cd _resto~1 and press the <Enter> key.

3. Type dir and press the <Enter> key.
A list of the restore points appears listed alphabetically. Choose the restore point folder which is dated the day prior to the occurence of the error reported.

4. Type cd rpX (where X is the restore point you chose in the step above) and press the <Enter> key.

5. Type cd snapshot and press the <Enter> key.

6. Type dir and press the <Enter> key.

7. Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press the <Enter> key.
Overwrite system? (Yes/No/All): appears.

8. Type Y and press the <Enter> key.

9. Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press the <Enter> key.
Overwrite software? (Yes/No/All): appears.

10. Type Y and press the <Enter> key.

11. Type copy _registry_machine_sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam and press the <Enter> key.
Overwrite sam? (Yes/No/All): appears.

12. Type Y and press the <Enter> key.

13. Type copy _registry_machine_security c:\windows\system32\config\security and press the <Enter> key.
Overwrite security? (Yes/No/All): appears.

14. Type Y and press the <Enter> key.

15. Type copy _registry_user_.default c:\windows\system32\config\default and press the <Enter> key.
Overwrite default? (Yes/No/All): appears.

16. Type Y and press the <Enter> key.

17. Remove the operating system CD and type exit to restart the computer.

2 . The system will boot to the normal mode. Uninstall AOL completely from Add / Remove Programs. And then reboot the system. The system will boot up just fine

Resolution # 2

If Your System Is Free From Spyware, Trojan & Virus , Windows XP Repair Reinstallation Works GREAT !!!!

Perform a Repair Reinstallation in the Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating System

Reboot your computer with the Windows XP CD in the CD drive.
The following message appears on a black screen with white letters:

Press any key to boot from the CD.

Press the <Spacebar> to boot to the Windows XP CD.
After several moments of initializing some modules, the Windows XP Setup screen appears.

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

Welcome to Setup.
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft<R> Windows<R> XP to run on your computer.

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using
Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Enter=Continue R=Repair F3=Quit

NOTE: The second option reads R=Repair, Do Not Press the <R> Key at this time. This option is for the Recovery Console.
There will be another repair option available in this process.

Press the <Enter> key.
The Windows XP Licensing Agreement appears.
Read the license agreement.
Press the <F8> key if you accept the terms and conditions specified on the License Agreement screen.
Setup searches for previous versions of Windows.

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

To repair the selected Windows XP installation,
press R.
To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

C:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

F3=Quit R=Repair ESC=Don't Repair

Press the <R> key to repair.
NOTE: Setup will examine your computer and copy files to the Windows installation folders. This process will take some time. Once it has completed, setup will initialize and then restart the computer.

Do not press any keys when the message Press any key to boot from the CD appears. Let Windows boot normally.

The amount of time it takes to complete the above process will vary depending upon the size of the hard drive and the speed of your system. You can step away from the computer at this time.

Setup pauses at the Regional and Language Options window.
Click the Next button.
Setup continues to install files. After several minutes, the Welcome to Microsoft Windows window appears.
Click the Next button.
The Thank You! window appears.
Click the Next button.
The repair is complete.

Edited by JacobAtDell, 20 March 2006 - 04:43 PM.

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
i could not get to the restore point directions... i did the ren system config steps but
now my system will not open at all..

i now get system config corrupted.

i am running chkdsk /r to repair this error again

why is this happening?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get any of these

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

System error: Lsass.exe
When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
yes i get corrupt ,windows/system32/config/system

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is quite involved

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

http://support.micro...kb/307545/en-us

Advertisements

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
thanks for the the link, but the opening line that states if this in an OEM system, this will lose data....this is an Emachine disk.

I am very upset that the "help" that is had from Jacob from Dell did this to my system...I only had a dll error, but when he suggested I do the ren system config, I knew I was looking for trouble!

Is there a way to reinstall Windows and not lose my data?

with my 2 options at the select operating systems:

1...i get system32\config etc...missing or corrupt
2...root\system\hal.dll missing or corrupt

can I get rid of #1? and get back to my original problem? or am I totally messed up forever?

I cannot even run windows repair now, when I type 1 for the installation to repair I get C:\windows>, with no options like I did before................HELP!!!!

JacobAtDell

JacobAtDell

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
When You are in the _resto~1 Folder Type Dir at the prompt , YoU WilL Get the List Of RpX Where X is the number , Select the Second Last rpX folder For Eg If the Last Folder Listed There is rp378 Then YoU Need to Type CD rp377 and then Continue With the Series of Command

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
never even got to the restore options....
after I ren system\config....my system would not recogniza any commandsr

i have 2 operation systems to pick from and neither works

what do I do now? I cant even run system repair either, all I get is a c:windows>

what next?

JacobAtDell

JacobAtDell

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Bro , if YOu are On C:\windows
Type Cd \
Type Cd system~1
Type Cd _resto~1
Type Dir
When You are in the _resto~1 Folder Type Dir at the prompt , YoU WilL Get the List Of RpX Where X is the number , Select the Second Last rpX folder For Eg If the Last Folder Listed There is rp378 Then YoU Need to Type CD rp377 and then Continue With the Series of Command

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
ok, might be getting somewhere

got to the snapshot command, but didnt get a response to overwrite...just got 1 file copied, then next line was c:\system~1\.......\snapshot>

what next, just jump to the next command?