Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP smart wireless settings utility problems

• Please log in to reply

Pranab

Pranab

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just got a Netgear Wg311 wireless network card, but i am having problems getting it to work. The card installation goes fine, but when everything is installed i get a box asking if i wish to control the card using my Netgear utility and therefore do i want to deselect the Windows XP wireless netword config utility. If i say no or yes the computer gives a blue screen saying there was a fatal error, but if i ignore the box, the internet works fine.

I have tried disabling the windows utility in network settings, but this just causes the computer to BSOD when i enter windows and the network is loaded. Is there anyway to get rid of this question box? Or anyway to solve this problem?

I am running windows XP with all the latest critical updates installed and using the latest driver for my network card.

Thanks for any help of advice

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Try this:

Right-Click My Computer -> Manage -> Click Services and Applications -> Double-Click Services -> Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration and select -> Right-Click and select Properties

In the Startup Type drop box, select Disable. Apply and restart the computer. Hope that this helps. Please post back either way.

Pranab

Pranab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just tried that. Unfortunately i just get the blue screen and error message and have to restart again. Thanks for the suggestion though

Rob Kuhn

Rob Kuhn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Try uninstalling the NetGear WG311 drivers and then do a shutdown. Remove the NetGear card and restart the machine (if you don't remove the NIC, XP will try to re-configure/install the card).

If you're comfortable with using REGEDIT, perform a search for the NetGear card (I'd probably do a search for NetGear and see what it finds). Delete any entries that it may find (I would highly recommend that you create a restore ponit first so that you can restore yourself if you delete something you shouldn't have).

If you don't feel comfortable with using REGEDIT or deleting keys, use a registry check/clean tool. I've been using Registery Mechanic from WinGuides (http://www.winguides.com) and have been very pleased. In fact, I run it periodically on my machines (usually after I've run a Spyware check/removal app).

I believe you can download a demo version which will do just about everything that the full version does (I used the demo version for a while before I decided to purchase it).

Once all the entries are gone, reboot the machine once more and then try re-installing the network card following the instructions provided by NetGear.

Once you get it installed to where you're not getting the BSOD, be sure to run a Windows Update (if possible) against the machine and then check NetGear's web site and verify that you are using the current drivers.

RK