Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express Locking Up

• Please log in to reply

nkamp312

nkamp312

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just started using outlook express - I switched when my Outlook .pst file hit 2gb and it crashed. Everything on Outlook Express works fine, except when I hit Reply or Reply All on a message, it locks up. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
did the installation of Outlook go ok, it might occur due to missing files in the folder, does it give you any error message?

nkamp312

nkamp312

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Outlook and Outlook Express have been on my system since it was rebuilt in April 2004. As far as I know there were no issues when it was installed. I don't get any error message when it locks up - when I click reply or reply all, the button that I'm pressing disappears, and it locks up. I can close it out through task manager and restart it immediatly and everything works fine again except reply.

mklem

mklem

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have just recently started with a similar problem. I have Windows 98 on an older 600 mhz HP machine. I have been using Outlook for years. Yesterday, the problems started. I can receive email but I cannot send. I can also look at newsgroups but I have not tried posting.

If I do Alt Ctrl Del it will show me outlook is not responding. It also showed problems with my Sysgate Firewall. I disabled the Firewall and the Virus Protection. No help, still locks up.

I can go to Gmail or Hotmail and send fine, just locks up on Outlook Express.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I tried going to my recovery disk but I could not figure out how to just reload Outlook Express. Is it necessary to reload all of Windows. I do not have Windows 98 disks. HP just gives you a recovery disk instead. I have not noticed any problems with anything else.

One other note. About a week ago I tried a trial version of Registry First Aid. I did a small amount of registry cleanup. I noticed a problem maybe related that Outlook was now asking me for my password to get in. I entered it and saved it and it seemed okay. Just to be safe I have also restored a version of my registry prior to using Registry First Aid.