Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shorting Out

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I am still having trouble with computer not restarting after work being done on computer(see my previous posts) and am wondering if there is a way to test for shorts using a 43-range Multitester. It seems to happen when I work on or place pressure on Motherboard.

Waynf

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the buest way to test a computer for case grounds (seems like what would be shorting when you press on the board) is to set up the system outside of the case on a piece of cardboard....basically pull everything out of the case...place the board on a piece of cardboard and hook everything up outside...if you don't get any shorts...then somethings grounding on the case

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi Waynf.

If you completely remove the motherboard, make sure there are no gold looking screw bits underneath the motherboard that arent in a place where a screw goes, if there is, this could be your shorting out problem.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thanks to all for help on "shorting out", I have not checked it yet, and will advise. However I just installed two more memory sticks and I didn't run into any problems. System started up after each installation without any problem. However new problem seems to have arisen. I also tried to install a floppy drive, but even after I connected it, on boot up I still get a "floppy(fail) F1" notification. This was when I connected the 4 wire connector from hard drive to floppy. I then shut down and connected the 4 wire connector from the power supply(at fan box) and still get same notification. Is there any way to test this 4 wire unit because I suspect that no power is going to the floppy.

p.s. Its not a new floppy by the way.

Regards

Waynf

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the light on the floppy coming on? and staying on?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
No light coming on at all. By the way, is there a way to test power supply using voltometer tester? Or do you have other ideas.

Waynf