Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very slow connection to interenet!

• Please log in to reply

Beesly

Beesly

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Wondering if anyone has any general tips into fixing a very slow connection to the internet!!!

I connect to the interenet via Roadrunner high speed internet (thru cable NOT dial-up) and I browse the internet using Mozilla Firefox.

My computer appears "clean" to my untrained eye. I run McAfee VirusScan, MS AntiSpyware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and AdAware these all give me clean results.

Typically, I will be browsing the internet and the longer I stay on (often just a matter of several minutes) or if I open mutliple web pages at once, the connection seems to REALLY bog down. It slows down to the point, where I will get errors messages such as "Document contains no data" or "Can not find site www.msn.com", for example, if I do not get an error message the screen will just stay there trying to open the site, but it never opens! Incidentally, when I do experience this problem in Firefox, I try using Internet Explorer and find the same very slow connection as well. Also, the cable light on the modem is always on during these problems, so I don't know if it is problem with the provider.

I notice when I unplug the power from the cable modem ( I assume this is the box with lights on it ) and let it stay unplugged for a few minutes and then replug it in and try browsing the internet again, this does seem to work temporarily. It will be back to normal speed for several minutes, but the longer I stay on and the more I browse the slower and slower it becomes. Also, when I go to Control Panel Network Connections and click on my LAN connection and disable it, enable it, and repair it this also seems to temporarily allow me to browse at my normal speed. But again this is temporary, lasting at most several minutes before slowing down considerably.

I have also shut my PC off entirely and unplugged it from the wall outlet. Same results, normal good speed at first, but becoming much slower over time.

So those are the basic symptoms to my problems. I hope this can provide enough info for someone with more knowledge than me, to help to provide some suggestions as to what could be the problem or what could be a solution. Thanks for your time!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
1. How many firewalls do you have running at one time? If you have more then one that could very well be the problem.
2. Remove all temperairy internet files (if you don't know how to do this just post back and i will give you furthur instructions)
3. i would get you to check into the malware forum. ( http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=37 )
4.from there if that doesn't work i would then ask you ISP (internet provider) to see if their side of the line is working fine (yes its not always your computer).
thanx
James :tazz:

Edited by james_8970, 20 March 2006 - 10:40 PM.

Beesly

Beesly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for you response...

I have just McAfee Firewall running and the Windows Firewall disabled. This is wise, correct? Just to have on Firewall running?

I thought I have removed temp interenet files along with cookies and my history, BUT it wouldn't hurt if you could give me directions to insure that I am doing this correctly. This needs to be done on both IE and Mozilla Firefox?? Also what does it mean to clear the internet cache?

I will post into the malware forum on this site, in hopes that someone may also assist. However, as I mentioned the 4 different scans I run are all clean.

As for contacting my ISP... if my cable modem has a solid light on does that mean that I am getting a good signal from them? So isn't it just something my cable jack and my computer? Any ideas as to why when I unplug the power to my modem and then replug it back in, it works temporarily before slowing down in a few minutes?

Sorry for answering questions with more questions, and I appreciate your help. But I get so frustrated with problems on my computer that I have no idea how to fix!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
1. Yes having one firewall running at the same time is the right idea, just making sure this is what was going on in your computer.
2. to remove temperairy internet files do the following,
in internet explorer go tools->options->deleat cookies, delete file and click yes for offline content. Clear the internet cache is just another term for doing this.
3. there are more powerful scans out there then the ones you have mentioned, you could have something and not even realize it.
4. every modem is different some you want to be bliking and others you want to be solide, i have had one of both. When you unplug it, it resets the connection which can sometimes be the problem this is usually the very first thing a tech would ask you to do. When i sa contact you ISP, i literly mean give 'em a call and ask if you getting a A.O.K from them because sometimes it could be on thier end of the line that your getting problems however i don't think it is the problem right now so just leave the possibility out for the moment.
hope i have awnsered all your questions, please tell me if the advice works for you or not.
thanx
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
please post a Hijackthis log in the malware forum, however edit your post when doing so and no add another reply as they might look over your topic.
thanx
James

Beesly

Beesly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks James. I posted my problem to the Malware forum. Basically I just posted the same stuff, but onto that forum. Hopefully, I get response from someone there too. I am currently not on my home PC, so I will make sure and follow the advice you offered when I log on a bit later. Hopefully my connection will let me!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
k let me know how it goes
James