Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Recovery from Crashed drive

• Please log in to reply

domer

domer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
My Computer
X-Technology Box
AMD 64 Socket 939 3200+
Asus A8V Deluxe MB
Seagate 120 GB SATA HDD
2 x 512k memory
XP Home

Host Computer being used to try and recover files:
XP Home on an HP Media Center, no Adminstrator accounts set up

I recently had Windows loading problems which have seemed to come down to the drive being too full. Windows would not boot and the computer did not recognize the drive. We took the dirve out of the computer and connected it to another computer with SATA ports. Booted the host computer and it saw the drive and showed the drive being almost completely full 111.5 gb out of 112 available space - so only 500 MB free space. OOPS Almost all of the data on the drive is video files from my son's basketball games that I was working with to create a highligh DVD for the team. Out of 111.5 GB on the drive, there was probably 5-6 GB accesible to move off the drive to, the rest is in my accounts.

We are trying to recover the files using the host computer and my external 250 GB storage drive, so I was able to pull of all data from non-Adminstrator accounts in the HDD files, but could not see any files in my Adminstrator account - (My Name/My Documents) We ran Windows defragment but it could not access those files shown in the administrator account. If we click on the top folder in the tree with my name, a message pops up saying access denied. Defragment can't move them either, so we can't complete defragment or move the files off the drive to save them.

Any suggestions on how to bypass or remove the security control?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi domer...

Have you tried Taking Ownership of the files?

wannabe1

domer

domer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Wannabe - Thanks for replying. I did find that article on MS website and it worked. I have full access to the data and have moved it off the disk onto a larger external drive. Now onto the rebuild process.

I appreciate the advice :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Always glad to lend a hand! :tazz:

wannabe1