Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SLi

• Please log in to reply

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
well, the MSI Diamond Plus is 32x, well in tests everywhere, ther're saying nVidia have done it again, the 7600GT is better than the 6800GS yet acutally puts on about 80% more preformance in SLI, amazing, ah well, in two weeks time i'll know, i can't wait until Vista comes out(2007, today it was delayed....again) so there you go, i'm off to up my PC preformance. also note a new CRT style screen, know as SED, it has individual photon guns per pixel so is really flat and phat lol, might be good

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
The A8R32 also made by asus is another 32x, its ATi based rather than nvidia based.
-Pete.

Edited by p-zero, 04 April 2006 - 07:46 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The ATI chipset though is inferior to the nforce4 in many ways, nforce4 is getting on now but its still as good as or better than the new ati chipset and integrated SATA raid support, a better firewall etc make it the smarter choice unless you really need the performance of the ATI crossfire.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
yaya, i was checking out some stuff online and they say 32x is not always needed. but i really wonder how much better it will be than normal SLI 16x because no current card, when in SLI, use more than the 16x bandwidth so i think 16x may be ok, what's your take?

Sgt_pepper

Sgt_pepper

• Pip
  • 5 posts
the 32x means that both SLI slots will run at 16x speed whereas older boards only run at 8x speed if both sli slots are in use. and 16x times if one slot is in use. You'll probably never even notice the difference.

The Gigabyte K8N-SLI is a great board. And relatively cheap.

Edited by Sgt_pepper, 05 April 2006 - 08:08 AM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I'm personally sticking with ATi, and when I upgrade to a 64bit system, I will buy a motherboard that will work with the new ATi Crossfire. Through being an nVidia boy for years, thinking they were good, then the drivers got, well, crap. I started using custom drivers, then got so annoyed from lagging behind in games. Then I just wasted a load of money on this AGP8x 9800XT, which I'm suprised STILL runs all of the newest games on the highest levels of detail. Best card I have ever used.

Edited by SuperSam, 05 April 2006 - 08:37 AM.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I believe that the gigabyte board is only 16x. I have heard great things about them, only reason I didnt get one is the 16x.
-Pete.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most cards still wont be bottlenecked by the 8x still, only the top of the range cards will start to approach going past the 8x. If you are using an last generation gpu it wont be a problem at all. The gigabyte boards are nothing special but they are cheap and still good quality which is there biggest advantage.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Very true, but for me, being a performance junkie in all aspects (cars,computers, etc.) I always want to get every last little bit I can out of whatever Im working on. Hence, I have a mini-pickup with a 350 HP motor in it. Do I need it?NO, but it sure is fun to drive. Did I NEED SLi? Definitly not, but sure is nice and fast.
-Pete.
PS: Heard anything about when the dx10 cards are coming out?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Same time as DX10 hopefully June or early July, but you know how deadlines go.

Advertisements

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
ya, well i think Vista will be available broadly by 2007, helluva long wait if you ask me, DX10 should come with Vista but there's no point in guessing, like scotty said, deadlines are not very dead on lol

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well Vista is developed independantly from direct X, vista is direct X10 based and they initially had Vista scheduled to come out at the same times as DX10 for convenience sake, but wether they put back DX10 for vista is another matter, its doubtful they will put it back with the gfx card companies having so much invested in the technology, and November/January time isnt that far away at all.