Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User name and password interface

• Please log in to reply

A Train

A Train

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
What i am looking for, is two simple boxes that are for User Name and password. And when you type in those and click submit it saves both user name and password into anoter file or page, whatever. How can i go about doing this?

Thanks
Train

Edited by A Train, 20 March 2006 - 08:25 PM.

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
this is generally handled by PHP, ASp, or Perl CGI. This info is stored in a database on your server.

You may run in to a slight problem getting any further information on this since it is commonly used in Phishing Schemes and other scams.

Usually when it comes to passwords and usernames they are used to access certain parts of sites. This info has to be placed on the database for it to work.

Can you give a little more info as to why the user is needing to submit this info?

A Train

A Train

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well what I want is just a small area where users can enter there desired user name and password and then it is saved in another file. Then because its just a small group of users I can add them to the list of who is aloud to do what and where without a lot of hassle.

Thats pretty much what I need.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
as I stated in my last post, you need to use either PHP, Perl CGI, or ASP to accomplish this. then the info is stored in a database on the server so that you can get that info.

There is nor pre-arranged scripts for it, and you have to set up the database table in the mySQL on your server using a program like phpMyAdmin.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
is phpmyadmin free? what's the official site?

Edited by TaNkZ101, 23 March 2006 - 04:09 PM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

is phpmyadmin free? what's the official site?

yes it's free, you can download it from http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/
you cannot access any mySQL databases with it that you don't have authorization. if you have an apache server on you computer then you will be good to go. most good webhosts supply phpmyadmin in their user control panel so that you can set up db tables on the server for your website.

Edited by Dragon, 23 March 2006 - 06:53 PM.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
yeah i believe i've used it on one webhost a while back, it WAS quite usefull!