Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So i did

• Please log in to reply

brad656

brad656

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
when I start my computer, a message box pops up and says: "Windows Installing...". Immediately afterward, another message box pops up and says "Norton Antivirus does not have a repair component, please uninstall and re-install".
I don't know what either of these mean, but it happens everytime I start my computer.
It might be from two things:
1.Norton antivirus needs to be re-subscribed in a few days...
2. It might be malware-related.
3. I used CCleaner to remove what I thought was an unneccessary program--AOL Screensaver
Please Note: I've already talked to someone in the malware forum to help me with my query, and they were very helpful. However, I've since run an A-Squared HiJackFree scan on my computer and there are many threats listed--attached to some good programs (like Quicktime, NeroFilterCheck, etc).
I've also posted another query related to the HiJackFree findings, but have not received a reply, so I'm not sure whether these are related issues.

Here is my former issue--still unresolved (might be able to shed some light):

I used A-Squared's HijackFree tool, which analysizes different files to root out potentially bad ones. Because sometimes the bad files attach themselves to good files, they use a colored rating system in their analysis. Red indicates files that stand alone and are just plain bad. Green indicates good, uninfected files. Yellow means that there are good files, but that they have bad stuff stuck on them. If you click 'view details' for these 'yellow' files, another window comes up and shows you the good files and the bad ones. The bad ones have little devil-faces beside them, the good ones have smiley faces--unfortunately, they seem to be connected. Right beside the devil-faces, there's a little paragraph that tells me these programs are Trojans (like the PROXY-X trojan that is connected to my Nero CD Burner, disguising itself by calling itself "Nero Checker"). After the fix, all of the 'red' files of the analysis were gone, and even some of the devil-face bad guys in the yellow files. But the yellow files still remain, and in them a few little devil-faces the HijackFree is calling a trojan. Some of them seem pretty serious--PROXY-X Trojan, TACTSLAY.B Trojan, etc. Are these bad files as serious as my HijackFree says they are? If so, are they too intricately linked to my 'good' smiley-face files to get rid of fully, or is there some procedure I could use to get them off? Is there any way to zero-in on these bad boys and take them out without damaging my good programs?
I tried just searching for them under Windows Explorer, but they bear exactly the same name as their 'good' counterparts, and they're located in the System 32 folder my computer tells me is not to be touched unless it's by a pro.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have all the names, paths and locations of all of these files if they'd come in handy.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Install the 2nd file down

http://www.symantec....iles/lu/lu.html

brad656

brad656

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I installed it ("liveupdate feature"). A message box said: Restart your computer. I did. The same thing happened.
Message box titled 'Windows installer' says:
Preparing to install...
Please wait while Windows configures Norton Antivirus 2005
Then another box titled "Norton Antivirus" says:
Norton Antivirus 2005 does not support the Repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is their removal tool, click the orange run it now

http://service1.syma...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Then you can either re-install or look at other products, you can get free trial here

http://www.microsoft...ds/default.mspx

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
so... did you perform a windows repair or a system restore? If so you will need to disconnect from the internet .. uninstall norton and reinstall it. if you have troubles uninstalling norton google symnrt.exe and review the notes then run the tool to uninstall norton. only if you have that issue.

brad656

brad656

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Keith:
I have a full subscription to Norton Antivirus, which will soon run out. Should I, instead of uninstalling it, re-subscribe? could that be the problem? or should I let my subscription run out and then purchase a whole new package?

Gronka:
I do not think I performed a windows repair--I don't know what it is!--and I certainly have not performed a system restore.
The only thing I can recall doing before the problem appeared is deleting an AOL screensaver with CCleaner, which I thought was unneccessary (as,apparently, I have a lot of stuff on my computer--as per my first forum entry). Could that be it?

Thank you both for your help so far.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you re-subscribe it still leaves you with the same installation, with the added advantage of being able to display the error for longer :tazz:

You could look at the upgrade cost for moving to 2006, usually it is close to the renewal cost

Either way, uninstalling to correct the errors would be a good move because if the error does not clear, you can mail them to say you cannot get it to work so won't be renewing, which will make them respond quickly

brad656

brad656

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Oh. Well, then.I'll guess I'll get on uninstalling it. Thanks very much for your help!
Any ideas on my other problem (the A-squared Hijackfree one)?