A while back our old Lexmark inkjet went south. So the other day I uninstalled the Lexmark miscellaneous programs/drivers. When I was cleaning up the other day some (lex***.***) entries were still in the registry so I deleted them also. I checked B4 I deleted any, on the internet to be sure each deleted key was not “important”.
After considerable browsing on the internet I was lead to check the spooler which I found was NOT started. Using services.msc I set all the recovery settings to "restart the service" but when I tried to start it again I received the error “lack of resources” and it stopped itself. It now became a bit frustrating. After 2 days of browsing I found an obscure HP fix for another similar error which was directly related to Lexmark printers.
Apparently in the registry at:
the key “dependonservice” when loading a Lexmark printer is set to “lexbcse.exeRPCSS”. Seems when you de-install the Lexmark stuff this key is NOT deleted and restored to its default value “RPCSS.” All I did is delete the :lexbcse.exe" part, rebooted and the spooler started again
Hope this helps someone!