Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting another computers files onto my new one.

• Please log in to reply

chillybilly

chillybilly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello!
How do I connect an older computer to a new one so that I can get the older files and pictures onto the drive of the new one? Direct usb connections? Some kind of a card? Thank you for any help! :tazz:

Advertisements

loadsafuniam

loadsafuniam

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
The easiest method would be an RJ45 crossover cable and thansfer via ethernet, thats assuming you have network cards in both machines. Im not sure if there is a way to transfer directly through USB, maybe someone wiser could advise you on that. The only other way i know of is to burn all of the files you want to transfer onto disk

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist way i know of is to pull the HD out of the old computer, set the jumper on the back of the drive to slave, and install the drive in the middle connector of the data cable that is connected to your HD in the new computer. You can then use explore to copy everything you want off the old drive to the new drive.

This is easier than trying to set up a direct connect or network between the 2 computers. Here is a tutorial on direct parallel connecting computers if you don't want to pull the drive out of the old computer.

http://www.windowsne...mig/dccmain.htm

The same website also has how to usb connect computers.

http://www.windowsne...mig/usbmain.htm

SRX660