Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem upgrading new from Windows 98 to Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

ilang1

ilang1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My View Sonic computer came with the Windows 98 operating system. I was experiencing problems with this system and decided to upgrade using the Windows XP software that came with my Dell laptop. It appeared the upgrade was successful but I discovered a short time later that I did something wrong. The system is not performing as expected and I am unable to reinstall some of the software I had on the Windows 98 operating system. Please advise what can I do to correct the problem.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hi there ilang1, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

The system is not performing as expected

What system specs do you have???

unable to reinstall some of the software

Some software is not compatible for windows XP, try and find newer versions of the software and update to fix there problem. Most of your drivers should not work iether, you must also find new up-to-date drivers.

Cool :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

using the Windows XP software that came with my Dell laptop

two things here
#1 was this a dell recovery cd...if so...then that can't be used for any other machine other than the dell laptop
#2...if it was an actual windows cd...was it OEM? if so...that as well cannot LEGALLY be used on another machine other than the one it came with

what i SUGGEST you do is purchase the xp upgrade version and use it to install xp on the viewsonic computer (this assumes that you have the original 98 disks that came with the viewsonic computer) if you don't have those disks then you'll have to buy the full version of xp