Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Workgroup shows completely empty

• Please log in to reply

chessonly

chessonly

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey
having a big headache here. Would really appreciate any help.
I am trying to connect to 2 win xp( pro and home) pc's with a crossover cable. Thought that would be easy , read tutorials & everything seems right but it wouldn't work! The problem now seems to be some silly tweak in my xp pro.
One visible problem is that I cannot 'see' any comp(or anythin else) under the 'workgroup' . There is only 1 workgroup . The error that pops up on selecting the workgroup:
"workgroup is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network... the list of servers for this workgroup is not available"
Whats up? I know I should be able to see atleast the current pc.

Furthur info
1. firewalls are disabled
2. Netbios is enabled
3. NO bindings problem - only tcp/ip being used
4. NO problems in "xp home "

Possible problems:
1. routing and remore access service wouldn't start( I have no idea why).

Thanks

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi chessonly,

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: net view -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Also, to check to see if there is any software getting in the way, try restarting both computers into Safe Mode with Networking. Once in Safe Mode, try connecting / sharing files between the two computers; are you able to?

What happens when you goto Start --> Run --> Type: \\ComputerName -- where ComputerName is the name of the computer you're trying to connect to; ie: \\Jimmy

- Dan

mujurip

mujurip

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Also try pinging the computers from each other and see if they are 'talking'

Sam_G

Sam_G

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
And make sure that the workgroups are the same.