Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cant load windows xp

• Please log in to reply

gomerj

gomerj

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
yesterday i had a problem with windows shutting down into a blue screen which said an error had occured and windows needed to shutdown. i was given a bunch of instructions to try to fix it and one of them was to defragment my harddrive. i began to do this, and after about an hour i went back to check and windows had shutdown into the blue screen again. Now, however, when i turn my computer on there is nothing but a black screen that says

"for realtek fast ethernet controller
media test failure, check cable
exiting PXE ROM"

it will scroll through two sets of the above, then clear the blackscreen, then scroll through two more, and will just keep repeating.

can someone please help?????

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
boot to the bios (usually either with del or f2 during boot) and make sure to disable pxe boot or boot on lan or boot to network....

gomerj

gomerj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
in the BIOS window i went to "boot" and disabled "network boot". saved the settings and tried again but now all it says is " cant find operating system"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi gomerj...

The three main culprits for the PXE error are the Boot from LAN settings, a bad cd-rom drive, or a failed HDD. The way you describe your problem, I would lean towards the failed HDD.

If you have important data on the drive, I would stop trying to fix it and slave it to another machine to see if you can recover your data. The more you mess with the HDD at this point, the less likely you are to recover the data it contains.

wannabe1

gomerj

gomerj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi W

Thanks for the advice. Although i am fairly competant with computers im not very literate. could you explain what HDD is? And also, could you explain what you mean about transferring data? are you saying that the computer needs to be wiped clean and windows reinstalled?

Edited by gomerj, 21 March 2006 - 02:05 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
HDD = Hard Disk Drive. <---Probably time for a new one... :tazz:

It has been my experience that a failure of this nature is usually unrecoverable. You might check the last option by disconnecting the cd-rom drive and see if you still get the PXE error...if you do, then the Hard Drive is failing. Because the reliability of this drive would always be in question, I would not use it as the primary drive in the system.

wannabe1

gomerj

gomerj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
so if my harddrive is pooched...what are my options? do i need to get a new notebook? or simply replace the HDD?

also, is all my data lost?

thanks again for the help.

ps. my notebook has been making some wierd noises lately too...could that be a sign the the HDD was on its last legs?

also, out of curiosity, what cause the HDD to bite the dust?

Edited by gomerj, 21 March 2006 - 02:25 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you can just replace the drive with a new one for your LT...once you do so..you would need to reinstall windows and any software that you previously had installed...you could then put the old hard drive in a usb encloser and attempt to recover any important data..

for the mean time if you have your xp disk

boot to the xp cd...and choose the R option to get to the recovery console...once there type chkdsk /r and let that run to completion (45 minutes to an hour depending on your system)...report any errors or messages

gomerj

gomerj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi D

Thanks for the help. I dont have the XP disc anymore unfortunately. Ive moved twice since i got my notebook so i think its lost. My first wuestion is do u have any idea if this kind of thing is covered under the manufacture's warranty? the other thing is ive never used an encloser and dont know how to do that. do you think its worth trying?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the hard drive failure itself would be covered under warranty...you losing the cd would not be covered under warranty at all..as far as the HD enclosure goes....you just get one for laptop HD's (i can't remember the size sorry)...plug the dive in..and it should work...it won't be bootable (i.e. y ou won't be able to use it to get into windows) but you'll be able to recover any of your important data files (SHOULD be able to anyway)

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
go into bios press ALT- F to restore defaults. computer should beep. if not look for the option in your bios to reset to factory defaults. this should set everything to autodetect. then make sure wake on lan is off. try to boot. if nogo then load recovery console from the windows XP installation Cd. run a chkdsk /r.. reboot.

this is basic. If this doesnt resolve your issue there are plenty of other things we can do.

oops didnt notice the XP cd is missing. hmm. some manufacturers will send you a new one. Not all. Worht checking..

EDIT : so sorry didnt refresh my screen. all that was addressed. my appologies.

Edited by gronka, 21 March 2006 - 02:48 PM.

gomerj

gomerj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
so if i take my notebook in to get the drive replaced i should ask to keep the old one?

also, i was just looking at HD's on the futureshop website and there are some with (for example) 160 gb that are the same price as ones with 40gb. this doesnt make any sense to me?

i realize that this conversation is getting off topic for you....i appreciate your advice!