Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using two couplers

• Please log in to reply

Bee-Rad

Bee-Rad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Here's the problem. I have a 25 foot ethernet cable going into my attic and an RJ-45 CAT 5 coupler connecting another 25 foot ethernet cable which is not quite long enough to reach my computer now that I rearranged my room.

I went out and bought another RJ 45 CAT 5 coupler and connected a 10 ft ethernet cable to the coupler, and this is where the problem lies. I can not get a connection using this second coupler. I tested the connection without the second coupler with my laptop and it works. SO, is there anyway you can connect to the internet giving my situation. I am completely stumped right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bee-Rad

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Try switching the first coupler with the newly purchased one, the new one may be faulty.

Bee-Rad

Bee-Rad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok, I'll try

Dang, that means I have to go in the attic!

Thats what I was trying to avoid.

Oh well.

Bee-Rad

Bee-Rad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok guys NEVERMIND! It was a [bleep] coupler!

PS: Don't go to RadioShack for couplers!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

PS: Don't go to RadioShack for couplers

OR...buy longer patch cables...i'll take a page from my rock climbing experience: the fewer chances for failure that you put into a system, the fewer chances you have of dieing.

less widget's means less things to have to check when something stops working...

but...glad you got it working

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Or dont even bother witrh Cat5 wiring at all and use this...

Linksys Powerline

giving you a cat5 outlet anywhere you want it:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...didn't know linksys was putting out a system like that...NICE!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
We no longer use cat5 wiring on residential home network installs... umm were i am employed... we started useing these about 8 months ago and so far I have found the following results:

Pro's

I dont hae to crawl through attics for wallfish's (running the cat5 on internal walls)

Con's
If the electrical outlet happens to go through the Elictrical control panel (between the adapter and router) then you lose about a 1/4 a Mb on your download speed and about 100 Kb on your upload speed. NOT NOTICABLE UNLESS YOUR A HARDCORE ONLINE GAMER OR FTP'ER... Linksys says it is due to the fuses in the control panel, so they reccomended taking the fuses out of your control panel :tazz:

J/K about linksy's reply

PS.... Comes in a Ethernet Model instead of USB also.. which is what we use... but i couldn't find it on the Linksys site!!

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 22 March 2006 - 11:37 AM.