Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Cleaning

• Please log in to reply

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Geeks,

I just got my hot off the press fresh copy of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for my Dell Dimension 8300. I have 1.00 Gig of RAM installed, yet some time not too long ago, I was digging around and saw somewhere(no id ont remember where) that not the full gig was available, i think it was down to about half or a bit more. Now Oblivion recommends 1 full gig. of RAM. How can I clear up some of my RAM so it will dedicate to Oblivion?
Thanks Geeks and as always, Fight the good fight!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you've got a gig of ram in the system y ou can't dedicate it to the game...as you still have to run windows...are you having issues with the game at all?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What it says is including the portion taken for windows and the other things that may be open when they test to get the requirements remember they also have windows running.

You can get more by using a memory defragger like the one in Tune up 2006 im trying it myself now.

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I havent installed the game yet, I just wanted to make sure I didnt run into problems once I did run it thats all. I have heard alot about this Tune Up 2006, maybe Ill give that a shot and see what it does.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its a handy piece of software certainly, good thing to have in the tool box doesnt do anything other software can do however it lays it all out nicely.