Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba satellite a45-120 laptop no longer reboots!

• Please log in to reply

molesses

molesses

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
hi, i'm writing this post on behalf of a friend who can no long reboot his laptop (his only computer, that he needs for work).

its a toshiba satellite a45-120, I don't know the specs but I do know there have been no upgrades to it.
it has windows xp on it, (has the xp logo on the laptop, however I notice it saying starting windows 98 when the comptuer first powers on)

it will not boot up normally (by this I mean, the computer will start up and after getting past the first screen where it shows the toshiba logo and options to boot from different methods, it goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor) and his recovery disk will fail. he last used this recovery disk a month ago with no problems

when trying to use the recovery disk, it will try to reinstall windows xp and 25% of the way through this error will pop up.

Application error 437

states:

cannot read file

along with this question

"Output A:\Ghost.ERR?"

there is no A drive for this laptop, so if you click yes, it fails, then stops the recovery, clicking no just stops the recovery.

my only guess is that there is something wrong with the harddrive. I just spent the last 2 hours looking online and didn't find much help on this perticular error, and didn't find the online support from toshiba too helpfull.

so if anyone can help with this, we would be very grateful.

also, since this isn't my laptop, could you please post any and all ideas in one post, so i can try them all out at once, so I don't get stuck having to drive to and from constantly

thanks

Edited by molesses, 21 March 2006 - 02:46 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Output A:\Ghost.ERR?"

that's related to norton ghost....you said he's actually using the toshiba recovery cd? was it something he made or something that came with the computer(the recovery disk)?

molesses

molesses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Dsenette,

the recovery disk is something that came with the laptop, it has the toshiba label and logo on it and everything.

Radio123

Radio123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is an old thread, but I had the same problem last night and was able to resolve it.

I was attempting to reinstall XP on my three year old Toshiba Satellite M45-S169. I had recently installed 1 GB more memory, made some other changes to various programs, and for some reason Internet Exporer would not work. After putting the rescue disc in the drive, and following the procedures as per the instructions, the unit got about 35 percent into the recovery when the message "Output A:\Ghost.ERR?", and "Application Error 437", appeared. It prompts you to select Y or N, but whichever I chose, it failed. I have no Drive A, either.

After attempting reinstallation a half-dozen times, with the same problem happening each time, I unplugged everything from the Toshiba's USB port(s), unplugged the A/C power cord and removed the battery. I let it sit for about an hour, reinstalled the battery and plugged in the A/C. When I reinserted the rescue disc, and followed the other procedures, it worked successfully. After installing the Windows Updates, the computer was fine and is working like new. I hope that others in the same predicament are able to get the same results. :)

Update/Edit: I have just found a posting, on another website, by a person with the same problem in the same Toshiba Satellite model, and somebody recommended the same fix. The disk failure is apparently caused by overheated batteries in Toshiba laptops. I'm beginning to wonder if the new, extra 1 GB memory didn't exacerbate the overheating problems. I'm also glad to know that the breakdown was not my fault.

Edited by Radio123, 25 December 2008 - 09:06 PM.