Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heatsink & Fan

• Please log in to reply

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Does anyone know, if you can fit a clip on heatsink and fan on an Intel P4. I noticed my P4 had a type of black clipon case around it, which is different than the AMD Chip. I took this fan and heatsink off the P4, but I did not see any metal clips which to connect this bigger heatsink and fan to. It still had part of the black casing on the MB. This other one has metal type Alo clips on it which you have to force down to clip on most Processors, Sorry if I am a little vague here.

Cheers

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
They use difffent methods to hold the heatsink on, AMD use the clips and the "up and over" method, P4's (478s) like to use long retaining clips, 775s want little plastic indents that push into holes on the board and essentially does away with the clips altogether.

As a general rule, the heatsinks are not interchangeable between AMD and P4, and as the latter generates far more heat than the AMD, the AMD heatsink and fan, if you were able to get it to fit properly and snugly, may not be able to cool it sufficiently. Plus of course it invalidates any warranties you may have as well.

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Thanks Neil. I wanted to make sure about this.

Cheers