Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flat Screen monitor

• Please log in to reply

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
I need a Flat screen or LCD monitor Mainly for Intense Games My budget is 230 dollars i cannot get a crt i have no space so if anyones who knows about monitors please help i need a really good one for 230 thank you.
PS. I hate dead pixels
PSS. The bigger the screen the better

btw is this a good one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824009056

Edited by FuM, 21 March 2006 - 03:24 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That one looks allright, 19" is the ideal size you want as its the best compromise between price and performance.

Anything sub 8ms, Samsung, Acer and viewsonic are often the cheapest.

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
so i should go with this one or go with a better performance one?

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
whats DVI input would i need it what does it do?

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
so i should go with that monitor then?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI wikipedia answers all questions, and google answers more.

If thats what you really want but its really worth shopping around to get the best deal, For example the monitor i have was 230 on ebuyer, which was the same price as another site and i was getting the rest of my stuff from there anyway so i went to order it but just before i went to order i noticed that there was another version of the monitor that was cheaper, identical monitor only reason it was cheaper was because it has a free copy of splinter cell chaos theory(not played it yet but i didnt think it could be that bad a game) but i got it anyway as it cost -30 quid not bad.

Shopping around is the best thing to do especially with sucha costly purchase.

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
would i need the dvi input for anything important cause im a big gamer.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
DVI is more for better quality, though if you have a 2 monitors, side by side, analouge and DVI (like I do) there is little difference. Though in time to come I think analouge is going to be taken over by DVI. Make sure you have a DVI port on the back of your video card. This is a white connector, unlike the blue analouge ones.

I see you play CS 1.6, and you also mentioned being a big gamer. The graphics is hardly demanding on 1.6 so I'd double check you have the DVI port before buying this monitor.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
DVI is one of those things its nice to have but its not absolutely essential to have one, when it came out DVI was alot better, but the Analogue decoders are so good now the difference isnt noticable, a DVI adds a fair bit to the monitor price though.

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
imma start gaming in more graphic intense games like BF2

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
also just to add in,

the newer cards on the market (high-end) only have two DVI outputs allot still do have them but if u are goign to keep this monitor for a while and some time in the future want to upgrade your card maybe DVI would be handy to have. but like metioned before there is little difference and is usually a bit more expensive.
but its up to u
troppo

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
my 6800 gs has DVI and Analouge

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well really the choice is yours depending on your budget

pay more for DVI but be able to use it with newer high end cards ( upgradability in the future )

or pay less for Analouge but will always have to get a card that supports Analouge output

now im not saying that they will never make analouge outputs on cards but if u look at for example the ati website the newest cards are coming out with two DVI outputs not 1 analogue and 1 DVI,

so really the choice is yours as super sam said you really wouldnt notice much difference but thats were the technology is heading.

Edited by troppo, 24 March 2006 - 06:52 AM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
here are some that i found on newegg

17" 8ms has both VGA and DVI inputs
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824001070

19" 8 ms VGA little above 230 but its 19"
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824116363

17' 8ms VGA adn DVI with built in speakers ( not that you would use in built speakers)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824116352

17" 8 ms DVI
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824002284

and there is heaps more ( a total of 273 )
but have a look throught there i dint have enough time to go through the lot but im sure there are some 6ms screens out there its just a matter of looking of them
troppo

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
is 6ms better than 8ms