Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Starts up POSTS then screen goes black

• Please log in to reply

pcsleuth

pcsleuth

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi! I start the pc, it performs POST but doesnt load winxp. This is not an new install. If i insert floppies to boot up to, it reads them then screen goes black. if I try booting from CD drive to re-install winxp, it gets to the point where the pc states, " windows is checking hardware configuration" then screen goes black, signal color to monitor alternates from amber to green and remains that way. I find this very unusual. Anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance...

PCSleuth

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
As a quick guess, I would suspect the video card and/or settings. It may work for one video mode, but not another. You could also try booting in safe mode (I am not sure of how to do that as I mainly use Linux, so perhaps someone else can assist with that). It could also be the monitor not working at the other resolution, so if you have access to another monitor the easiest thing do to is to try another monitor.

It sounds like the monitor does not have a signal when it alternates amber/green.

pcsleuth

pcsleuth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi and thanks for your reply!

What you're saying seems to make sense. From looking at the monitor I am pretty sure I can rule it out as a problem because like you said, it isnt getting a signal which is probably why it is alternating amber/green.
The video card seems like the likely suspect because if it isnt sending the signal to the monitor, that would be a good reason why the monitor goes black. The problem I am having with your analysis is that if the video card is faulty, then why dont i continue to hear the hard drive booting up or working? Thanks...

PCSleuth

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
The video card could cause the system to hang, but it also could be something else. You need to take it a step at a time and see what you can find. You could try using something like the Knoppix Live CD to boot the machine and see if other video modes work.

It still could be the monitor, although not too likely, since if it can't deal with the signal it might just act as if it is not getting any signal. It is easy to try and while it might not be the case, easy things to try can be worth it if it happens to be the case. Sometimes cables fail in strange ways too, but if you assume that the cable will never fail you might try many things before you figure it out.