Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD problems just starting up for some strange reason

• Please log in to reply

carbuncle

carbuncle

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I have started getting BSOD's

These have started since two things I have recently done to the PC

1) I installed a external HD in my USB port, I tried it in the USB2 port but it said it couldn't find any USB2 devices? in none of the ports I tried, the 4th USB2 port has my printer and it works fine, I moved it to a normal USB1 port and the HD worked ok although I started getting BSOD's so have taken the HD off the machine and still getting them.

2) My Norton Internet Security ran out so bought another copy (2004 version but never used and a genuine copy) I installed it and ran all the updates etc, it works fine as a firewall and AV but the BSOD's have started as well since installed this software.

The two types I have had are as follows:

1st type - Stop:0x00007E (0x0000005,0x00003C00,0x0F7CDA348,0xF7CDA844)

2nd type - Stop 0x00000050 win32K.sys error - Page_fault-in_nonpaged_area

My machine (which up till then has performed great) is a Athlon 2000 and has 1GB of memory

The only other thing I could put my finger on was that it is periodically starting to freeze, not often but getting more and more and I have noticed that the fan has stopped spinning on my Graphics Card so presumed the freezing was overheating?

I run AV regualry and nothing turns up, I also run Ewido, Spybot and Ad Aware as well as Trojan Hunter and it only finds the useally spyware cookies, no trojans etc.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing these?

I think the external HD was probaley a coincidence as it happened at the same time I installed Norton and has made no differance since I unplugged it.

Any assistance greatly accepted thanks

Rob

Advertisements

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Another BSOD this morning

This time another of the Stop:50 codes but NTFS.sys error

Any ideas folks?

Could it be down to faulty memory for e.g

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think your problem has to do with the norton security program. Heres a webpage with stop errors.

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

According to that website the 0x0000005 error is causes by a page fault in a non paged area. This could be memory or incompatible software( like your norton suite).

A 0x0000007e is a system thread not handled. Check in your event viewer and right click on the errors and then click properties to find out more about the errors.

Lately i have quit using all of nortons software except norton ghost. i had too many problems with everything but ghost and the AV. I got tired of paying $30 every year to renew norton AV so i switched to AVG.

SRX660

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thnx SRX, someone else has suggested it could be the Norton suite so will be uninstalling every to do with Norton tonight, also I was told that the problem if it is Norton is likely to be caused because I hadn't uninstalled the 2003 version fully before installing 2004, even though did all the things you are supposed to do, only just found out you have to go to symantecs site and use thier uninstaller to fully remove the program.

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Just a quick update in case anybody else has had the same problem.

Looks like it was good ol' Norton (what a program!)

I had to uninstall 2004 version, get onto the symantec site (which was a big problem because it was messing up IE ), use the Online uninstaller, reboot, go back to Symantec and then run the 2003 Uninstaller.

AND AFTER ALL THAT THERE WAS STILL A NORTON ANTI VIRUS FOLDER ON MY HD!!!!!!!!!

Deleted this folder as well, turned on XP Firewall and downloaded AVG.

So far (touch wood) had no crashes, no BSOD and a machine running sound (Kiss of death I know)

Thanks for the help SRX in getting back to me.