Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BTX CPU in an ATX motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

Tsweeks

Tsweeks

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all, I have a question to ask regarding BTX form factor. My friend bought cpu parts for me to assemble:

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G ATX Motherboard
Intel Pentium D 830 BTX Processor
2 gigs Geil DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 7800 GTX 256meg Video Card
500watt Antec Power Supply
160 gig Samsung HD
Sony DvD burner drive

Anyways I noticed he ordered a BTX CPU, but an ATX motherboard. The motherboard is Pentium D compatible, but an ATX board. Will this CPU work if I get an ATX cooler? I have never worked with BTX, but he had opened the parts already. I assembled the PC with all the parts and an ATX CPU cooler for the cpu. I get the PC to post and all, but it crashes with various error messages during XP install. I am just grasping at straws here. The Motherboard has been checked out and the memory has too. Any ideas or input would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I havent delt with btx either. Heres intel thoughts on btx processors.

http://www.intel.com...a/eng/95349.htm

And theres this on the intel website.

Motherboards that support processors with the Platform Compatibility Guide (PCG) 04B specification will support processors with the PCG 04B and 04A. (In other words Motherboards designed to PCG 04B are backwards compatible with 04A processors) Motherboards that only support processors with the PCG 04A will not support PCG 04B processors. These motherboards have been designed to provide customers with a lower cost platform.

http://www.intel.com...=188115&ext=pdf

The above page is where that came from about 1/3 down the page. It may be the motherboard has some issues with the processor.

SRX660

Tsweeks

Tsweeks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much for the reply. I have sent the motherboard off to Gigabyte for a lookover and they sent it back with no reply at all. So, in other words, it may have been bad or maybe not. Before I sent it off though the system would not even post. now I get to installing XP and it just error codes a few minutes into it. I once got to the HD format to have it crash as it finished. I have never had this issue before and hate to make my buddy wait, but what's a nice guy to do? :tazz: