Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer very slow and scans show nothing

• Please log in to reply

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Im fairly new at computing but will try to describe problem as best i can. Despite using Mcafee security centre and now avg free alongwith scafee firewall and cwshredder my comp is running very slow and has gone off with blue screen a few times. Im using xp pro and mozilla firefox. Can you help?

Advertisements

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
this is a shared computer with 3 users. Fast user switching was enabled but no longer works. Everything seems to take ages, we see the egg timer thing quite a lot and the torch thing lookingfor things we are trying to open. Thanks

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

1st thing: You are using 2 Anti-virus programs (AVG and McAfee). This will cause conflicts and slow-downs. Remove 1 of them (Personally, I dislike them both. I prefer Kaspersky, or if you're looking for something free, Avast. But some experts like AVG, and some like McAfee...)

2nd thing: How much RAM do you have? How fast is your processor? And how much free space do you have available on your hard drive?

3rd thing: Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :tazz:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 22 March 2006 - 05:33 PM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
chel-dufc,

Just a pointer incase you don't know your processor type or speed: Start > Right click My Computer > Propterties. It will be there, and/or in the black loading screen when you boot up your PC.

I hope you understood this. I just explained it a little simpler as you mentioned being new to computing.

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hiya and thank you for your reply and help. O.k, i seem to have AMD duron 1GHz and 512mb of ram. I did not have avg angd mcafee at the same time, i didnt like mcafee so was using avg free bit have since taken this out and reinstalled mcafee which found and removed a virus. I also now have a black screen for what seems like ages when i start up pc. My computer is formatted ito 3 sections the guy that built it said it was better? I have 13.5GB free space from 19.5 on root c, 18.6 free from 18.8 on F and 28.2 GB from 28.6GB on G. I think that was all you asked for. thanks

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
where do i put the hijack this log?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Here