Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Serious Problems

• Please log in to reply

Will T

Will T

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok. I'm on a Windows XP SP2, A gateway computer.

My primary problem is that I installed the K-lite mega codec pack and installed one of the presets (I think for playback and encoding). Now everytime I try and start up itunes it first started erroring each time. Then i reinstalled it and then even did a system restore So its like...really aggrivating ebcause i like itunes. Now when i try to use it after uninstalling of k-lite and itunes, it says "ITunes is missing a file please reinstall".

Problem #2 is my windows just is real slow. when i click on my documents it takes 30 secs to open, when i open anything else its real fast. and the thing applies 2 anything else i open. when i use internet explorer and right click it freezes

Edited by Will T, 22 March 2006 - 08:57 PM.

Advertisements

Will T

Will T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ANy Suggestions at all?

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I guess you are running lot of programs at the background, clear all startup items.
start->run->type msconfig hit enter.
click on startup tab on system configuration utility, now uncheck all the items other than antivirus and firewal. Click apply and ok , restart the system.
User ccleaner and clean up the browser temp files. This should solve your problem to a large extent.
After this uninstall itunes completly and then try reinstalling it.

Will T

Will T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hm..I didnt seem to fix it doing that, but I did further isolate the problem. when i reinstalled itunes it said "Quicktime has errored and could not install" and when I did reinstall it Itunes said i have 6.5 quicktime when i needed 7.0 but everytime i try to install 7.0 it errors. But your solution did help me and it sped my comp up a lot.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I just upgraded from QT 6.4 to 7.0. This upgrade includes itunes. I did not uninstall the previous version and it works great. I'll include the link for the download at the end of this post. This download includes QT 7.0 and itunes.

Download from my link

close all windows

shutdown all antivirus, antispyware camera stuff etc in the lower right part of the screen. (To the left of the clock). Rightclick on the icons and shutdown whatever you can.

Double click on your download icon and install it. It will request a reboot. Go ahead and reboot. It will hang a bit on reboot. Just wait for it to install. It seems to be a very slow install.

If this is what you've already done. Post back here and I'll post some more ideas. Here's the link I used:

http://www.apple.com...cktime/win.html

Will T

Will T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah it didnt work....whenever i reinstaill it it says "Quicktime error: -3" i believe.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's their troubleshooting page:

http://docs.info.app...ml?artnum=60765

I think I would completely sweep the machine for virus's, spyware etc. and then try uninstalling and reinstalling in safe mode. Press F8 on bootup for safemode. Try that standalone player they mention......

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
OK.....I think I found the solution:

http://retrovirus.co...cktime-problem/

Will T

Will T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ah... Installing itunes and quicktime again. I'm praying this works.

Edited by Will T, 25 March 2006 - 10:43 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
If you have any important files, I would back them up first.

go to start>run and type 'regedit'. No quote marks. Then your gonna expand: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT Then expand: Installer Then highlight Products

Go to the edit menu at the top and select 'find'

type in Quicktime

you'll see about 12 items in the right pane. I would delete (in the right pane) everything below that top one which is (default) reg_sz

exit out of regedit and try the install.

Advertisements

Will T

Will T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah i did that, then i even went to Safe-Mode and tried to install Quicktime stand alone. It said Error 1607; Cannot Install Installshield

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I think I saw something out there on that installshield earlier. I'll have to find it again......

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's a link I found:

http://support.insta...ticleid=Q107094

I'll keep looking. I thought I saw something else on it......

Will T

Will T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I used that guys um Quicktime substitute and it worked perfectly. Here's the link incase anyone else is having my problem

http://www.free-code...Alternative.htm

And i gotta give thanks to Macten. Thanks so much man.

Edited by Will T, 26 March 2006 - 12:06 AM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's another one. I didn't look close enough to see if they are the same. They look pretty involved:

http://consumer.inst....asp?id=Q108340