Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to download Microsoft Updates With IE

• Please log in to reply

fbi428

fbi428

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have IE version 6.0, and Mozilla. When I got to Windows Updater with Mozilla, it says I have to use IE to download the updates. Fine. I go to the Windows update button on my programs list or I just go through the internet w/internet explorer. After it scans my machine for updates, which are numerous and "critical", I select them all and click the "install" button. THen it just freezes. Not my computer, but just the window, and yet it says in the task manager that it's running. I've left it alone for a while and nothing happens. I just did a huge cleaning out of my computer w/spyware and stuff on the hjt forum, and I thought it would solve this issue. I guess not. What do I do?

Thanks

DM

Advertisements

AL...

AL...

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Try taking the updates one at a time and see how it goes.

fbi428

fbi428

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did it and it did the same thing. It has a popup windows saying it's the download, and it says preparing to download.... but there is no graph moving in the space and nothing happens for a long time. Then I try to cancel and it freezes, ctrl alt delete then its gone. Is there maybe another way to get windows updates, maybe from an alternate sight or something? And are they planning to make it c ompatible with mozilla? That's really annoying cuz I know mozilla won't mess it up.

Thanks

AL...

AL...

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Have a peek here microsoft. It may help. Mozilla dosnt use activeX so wont be of any use on the microsoft update site and I cant see m/soft changing it any time soon.

fbi428

fbi428

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Na thanks that kind of addresses what I'm saying, but not really. It's not the scanning that's a problem, its once the download starts. Sounds like you knew that anyway, but thanks. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

DM

AL...

AL...

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi again

Have a try of this. support.microsoft

Hope this helps.

Cranky

Cranky

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
It also depends on your connection speed. When I was on dialup, some downloads
seemed to take so long I thought it had frozeup but it was just that slow. Sometimes it took hours, but I dont know in your case. Sorry !! Good luck. :tazz:

Bobert

Bobert

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: I had this exact problem in my windows 98 system and have just today found the fix. After about 2 months of trying to figure out what what caused it in the first place and trying to repair it that way. I finally went to windows web site - www.support.microsoft.com and did a search there. I'm running windows 98 so the fix will probably be a little different for you but the answer is probably there.
For Windows 98 the answer was in Article ID 836929. Basically I downloaded a repair file that replaced 4 files in my system folder. Everthing downloads normally now whew, what a relief. Hope this helps