Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard sensor reads 82 C degrees! (181F)

• Please log in to reply

fantasymon

fantasymon

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,
I have installed 3 different programs and they all list my motherboard as being over 82 degrees celcius. That can't be right can it??

It says my CPU and hard drive is around 38C so i'm not too worried but surely thats not normal for a motherboard?

Thanks,
Grant

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello fantasymon!

Is there a fan on the northbridge and is it still running?
Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version? (Just in case it's a BIOS problem).
Is this a recent thing?

fantasymon

fantasymon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey,
Thanks for the response.
I'm not too sure what the northbridge is. The only fans I know of are the heatsink fan, and my case fans.

This is my first new build and is about 1 week old. Yesterday was the first time for me to check the temperature of the motherboard. In the bios it doesn't list the motherboard temperature. I am using Everest Ultimate Edition 2006 (but have tried other programs as well and received same temperature)

I do beleive I have the newest bios.

I am using Windows Pro X64. Would that make a difference?

If the Northbridge fan is something I was suppost to install on a new build that could be my problem. The CPU isn't running high (38C with average 8% CPU use).

Thanks,
Grant

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Check on the motherboard manufacturers website for a BIOS update.
The sensor could be faulty as well.
The northbridge is a chip on the board, it handles communications between various hardware.

http://en.wikipedia....dge_(computing)

What make and model is the motherboard?

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 23 March 2006 - 07:42 AM.

fantasymon

fantasymon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the reponse!

I just bought the motherboard last week. It is Mach Speed K8M8MSR2.
I tried to flash the bios to the one on the website but I get an error in DOS saying "insufficient memory"??

Either way the Bios I have is not very old. But I just don't feel confortable letting my new computer have programs saying the motherboard is 85C. (The flame icon next to the 85C isn't too encouraging either)

Where is the sensor usually located on the motherboard?

THANKS!

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I think you should contact the manufacturer of the board, maybe they've come across this before.