Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

strange beeps when shutting down

• Please log in to reply

kredik

kredik

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
hi folks,
i had a strange,almost systematic sound of beeps(very loud) when i turned off my laptop. The screen went black after windows shut down but my on\off button stayed blue during which a series of beeps saluted me...I then held the botton for 5 sec. and it reset ok. Any clues? Ive been havin a few crashes earlier from playin Call of duty and am worried i hurt my cpu

thanks for all

k

Edited by kredik, 22 March 2006 - 08:02 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what make and model is the computer/

kredik

kredik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
toshiba satellite pm735
1.7ghz pentium centrino
512 ram

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the beep coming from the system speaker (like the beep at bootup) or coming from the other speakers that you normally hear sound through ?

kredik

kredik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
it was an abnormally loud sound that seemed to come from [bleep]...i mean it was maybe not from the 2 speakers located in front ...im not really sure,are there alternate places besides the normal speakers?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....even in laptops there's a system speaker..which sounds alot different than your normal speakers that y ou use to listen to music through...usually sounds alot....cheaper? i guess that's the best way to describe it...if the beep is coming from the system speaker...it's more...well..basic in the system (motherboard, ram, etc...) if it's coming out of the good speakers it's higher level.....i've seen some references to certain shutdown beeps...but no actual explanations (and alot of them are linux...which is a completely different animal..)...let's see where the sound is coming from....before you shut down..open your volume control panel and mute everything..then shutdown....still beep?

kredik

kredik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
hi.
So i shutdown with no sound or blakout. I remebered also that i did a reboot and not a normal shutdown when the beeps first came if thats any consolation. Maybe it was just a one off but I am worried bout playin hi end games and fryin my cpu. So whatdy think?

Thanks again

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're not seeing any other symptoms i wouldn't worry about it right now (espcially since i've got no idea what's going on)...most of the time....sounds on shutdown are do to things not unloading themselves during a windows shutdown...if there were a hardware issue you'd probably #1 be seeing other symptoms #2 be hearing beeps or noises on boot up..not shutdown

kredik

kredik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
ok...thanks alot and see ya round!