Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio CD Recognition

• Please log in to reply

dreed2440

dreed2440

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
How do I copy an audio file to a CD-R that says it can be played on "CD/DVD-ROM drives and CD/DVD players"? When I put the disk in a player, i.e.: Boom Box, Stereo CD Player, I get a message in the digital window of "Data Disk" and it won't play. If I put it on an "Audio CD-R", it plays fine, but those are hard to find and expensive compared to regular CD's. In other words, how do I get the player to recognize the audio file instead of the type of disk? I usually copy files as WAV files.
Thanks for any help...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How have you put the files on the CD?

Did you make an actual audio CD with Nero or whatever as opposed to burning a bunch of MP3s to the disk? If you've just burnt MP3 files to a CD, its not going to play anything and will be seen as a data disc.

dreed2440

dreed2440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I work in a law office and these are statements taken by various entities that come to us on CD either as a WAV or a CDA file. I then make a copy of that disk. (and sometimes convert the CDA file to WAV) If the disk I receive is a CD-R disk it won't play, but if it's an audio CD it will play on equipment other than the computer. Same with my copy disk. We need to play these in court on a CD player. We can use a laptop with speakers, but that's a whole other issue on logistics.
Thanks...Dave

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is pointing to an issue with the CD unit because as you say, the audio CDs (assuming the WAV files are ripped to the Hard Drive and burnt back to a new CD as an Audio CD in Nero or whatever) play anywhere else but the computer.

Having said that, a lot comes down to how the CD is made in the first place - if the unit its being made on is tempermental for example. Some CD units complain bitterly about working with CDs that weren't burnt with themselves and run slow or not at all. Or could just be a brand of CD issue. But you shouldn't need special Audio CDs as just bog standard normal CD-Rs are capable of being turned into audio CDs, although of course not all audio equipment will play them (turns out I'm the only one in a house of five people with a bunch of CD playing equipment that doesn't like playing CD-Rs).