Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking with wireless connection same has wired?

• Please log in to reply

mujurip

mujurip

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey everyone

First off I'd like to thank SpaceCowboy706 for his excellent and superb guides and responses here at the forum. Hats off to you bud!

My question:

I've seen several guides online about home networking etc, but I was wondering if all these home networking settings also apply equally to a network that is purely wireless? I've been trying to configure a wireless/wired network at my office that has 4 wireless desktops attached to a netgear WPN824 ver1 router. I also have a server that is physically attached to this router. I have internet up and running for all pc's. However when I try to access my network neighborhood, some pc's show other computers, some just give me errors, some take forever and give an error.

I have not tried the entire guide yet (which I’ll now) but b4 I start I wanted to make sure if the settings for wired home networking are same for the wireless network. (Like do I have to do something from the router's configuration GUI page? and etc). Also would things change if i have my network password protected?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello mujurip and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

A few questions first to get this ball rolling:

1) You mentioned a Server is connected to your router... Are any of the PC's in your file share network gaining net access through your server... or are they all gaining access through the wireless portion of the router
..........If they are gaining access through the server, then you will have to change the configuration of your network setup wizard. If this is the case post back and I will give you a modified Guide for your Scenario.
..........If they are not then the steps are the same... As long as you are only uising Mac Address Filtering and WEP as your Wireless Security. Any other Security types require modification to the guides.

2) You also mentioned that the PC's in your network have sign on passwords. After completing the File and print share guide post back and I will have additional steps for you to follow, for changing Group policies and permissions.

mujurip

mujurip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply. I was all day playing around w/ the settings and had some luck but not all of it.

To answer you question(s)

Yes there is a server that is on a seperate workgroup and its using the router for the net. None of the pc's are connected to the server. the server is just there for med. billing purposes...totally independed. The internet is thru the router.

I had one machine w/ windows 2000 sp4, and as soon as i enabled the web security feature i could not get that machine to get online as it would simply not connect and woudl not prompt me to enter the key to connect to the router. after gizillion tries i ended up formatting n installing xp pro :\

A question I had regarding the Mac address filtering was .. If I manually add all the pc's mac address's and names into my router's GUI settings, what happens to say a laptop i bring from home and I 'd like to connect it? I'll have to loginto the GUI page and enter is mac address and then establish a connection? How do i get the MAC address when the laptop is not even connected to the network. I'm asking this becuase i tried to enable mac addres filtering, but there were 2 systems that were not attached to the router so I couldn't auto detect them and get their mac address's. I tried to get their address's but failed.

Anyhow after spending bout 2 hours I had the wireless up w/ WEP security. The next issue to tackle was the 'access denied' message. After fiddling w/ the security and permission settings, i figured out that the profile "everyone" allows everything to run smoothly. IF I use "poweruser" or adminstrators or nething as such I'd get the error.

I have different login names at each PC w/ differnet passwords. (1 user per pc) I have one printer that i'd like to share w/ all PC's.

Below are the login names. Like I said, only 1 user per computer.

Netgear router: 192.168.1.1
PC1: 'FrontDesk' (printer pc) 192.168.1.2
PC2: 'Khaled' (sensitive data on this PC - to be accessed only by 2 users namely 'Front' and 'Karana') 1.3
PC3: 'Diane' (needs printer access only) 192.168.1.4
PC4: 'Front' (will send and retrieve sensitive data to khaled's PC) 192...1.5
PC5: 'Karana' (same as above) 192...1.6
PC6: server running in a diff. workgroup. 192.168.1.150 (uses internet thru router)
All pcs need printer access which is on PC1 w/ username 'FrontDesk'

Thats all the details. I played w/ this stuff soo much today...totally into it. I gotta admit netwoking is fun!

ps. when running the network wizard, should i select the option that "computer are connected thru gateway" or "computer are connected to a hub". I tried both and it seems to make no diff. Also I have 'use simple file sharing' UNCHECKED on all pc's.

Edited by mujurip, 23 March 2006 - 12:29 AM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

I gotta admit netwoking is fun!

It is fun when you are sitting in front of it and have the ability to do it yourself... but it is very difficult to be able to articulate to someone with no Computer experience what-so-ever, how to do it... But I enjoy the challenge, which is why I spend some of my free time here at G2G. :whistling: :blink:

How do i get the MAC address when the laptop is not even connected to the network.

For the Pc That you are trying to add to the network there are a couple of easy ways.. as follows:

1. If it is a Laptop PCMIA card just shutdown the computer and slide it out of the slot and it will be printed on the underside of the card (as HFC MAC ID).
2. If it is an internal Card on either a Laptop or Desktop click on the START button (bottom Left of your Desktop) and select RUN. When the Run Dialog box opens type in CMD or COMMAND depending on what OS you have, and hit the OK button. When the Command Prompt Screen appears type in: IPCONFIG /ALL :and hit enter. Copy it down form the Physical Address Line like this:

help1.JPG

ps. when running the network wizard, should i select the option that "computer are connected thru gateway" or "computer are connected to a hub". I tried both and it seems to make no diff. Also I have 'use simple file sharing' UNCHECKED on all pc's.

You want to Select: "computer are connected to a hub" and Simple File sharing must be turned on to share Printers. You may also have to add the group access permissions like you stated here:

After fiddling w/ the security and permission settings, i figured out that the profile "everyone" allows everything to run smoothly.

And dont forget to add the Printer to each and every PC through the Network Printer Wizard as detailed in the Guide.

mujurip

mujurip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thx space for the prompt response. I'll give it a shot once i get to the office on monday.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
ok