Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Check Error

• Please log in to reply

lostonpeasea

lostonpeasea

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
When I go into C:/Properties/Tools/Error-checking and select the two options available (Automatically fix filesystem errors & Scan for an attempt recovery of bad sectors) then proceed to restart my machine the disc check does not run & comes up with the following message:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS
Cannot open volume for direct access
Windows has finished checking the disk

Has anyone ever encountered this before, my machine is having a lot of performance problems since not being able to use my Disk Check. I regularly use software called System Mechanic 6 to help maintain my computer and recently it gave me an error telling me I needed to run my Disk Check.

Hope someone can help,
lostonpeasea

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
restart the computer and press f8 during boot...you should get a listing of operating system options (safe mode, safe mode w/ netowkring. etc..) pick safe mode with command prompt..once it loads you should get a c: prompt...type chkdsk /r /f and let that run to completion

lostonpeasea

lostonpeasea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
When I go to restart, then press the F8 and click on safe mode with command prompt it starts to load but then never leaves the with all the paths listed. I waited about 30 minutes twice, I didn't think I should have to wait that long. Is it common to wait this long?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...no it's not....what was the last file listed when it hangs?

lostonpeasea

lostonpeasea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The last file listed is iomdisk.sys

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\iomdisk.sys

lostonpeasea

lostonpeasea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

The last file listed is iomdisk.sys

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\iomdisk.sys

I did a search for this file and realized it was for my Iomega zip drive which I don't have anymore so I tried to uninstall it which seemed to be unsuccessful because it did not delete any files that I noticed except the iomdisk.sys files are missing now. I then restarted and tried to delete the Iomega folder again from my C:\program files\Iomega but still could not. I did try to restarted in safe mode again and found that the iomdisk.sys file was no longer listed. The last file now is agp440.SYS and it still does not continue on to safe mode.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
iomdisk.sys is ALSO an actual system file....can you start in any mode of windows? and do you have your xp disk?

lostonpeasea

lostonpeasea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm not having any trouble using my computer like I normally would, but I cannot boot into any of the safe modes. I do have my Windows XP installed disc.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
boot to normal mode

put the xp disk in the computer and do
start > run > sfc /scannow

lostonpeasea

lostonpeasea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Okay, I ran the sfc /scannow. I didn't get any messages or errors, I assume that's a positive sign.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...it doesn't tell you it's doing anything....sometimes it tells you it's done...some times....it doesn't...

how long ago did you initiate the sfc scan? ( if longer than 30 minutes...safe estimate of time then restart and try to get into safe mode)

lostonpeasea

lostonpeasea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It just finished about 5 minutes ago, should I wait at least 30 minutes to reboot into safe mode?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it actually came up and gave you a "finished" m essage..then go ahead and restart

lostonpeasea

lostonpeasea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I did not receive any finished message, I typed in the sfc /scannow and a window came up entitled

"Windows File Protection"

that read

"Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original version"

After it finished scanning it just closed , no finished message or any kind of notification whatsoever.

Should I wait for a finished message to eventually appear?
If not should I wait 30 minutes after the "Windows File Protection" window closed to restart or restart within the 30 minutes of the window closing?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's been long enough now for sure go ahead and try the restart