Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Noisy fan

• Please log in to reply

billnliz

billnliz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have 2 Dell dimension 8300s and while one is still relatively quite the other getting louder and louder. I have opened the case to remove the fan but I cant find how it is attached. I have removed the green hood that covers the fan but find no screws. Do I need to remove the whole housing which seems to be connected to the back of the PC or do I just need to pull the fan out of the casing somehow?

I also have a Radeon 9800 pro graphics card installed and play games like WoW and EQ. Is it possible that it may be the graphics card fan? Is there a way to find out which fan it is? Is there a way to replace the graphics card fan or do I just need to get a new card?

Thanks so much for the help

Bill

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the manual for that system sucks..there are some nifty pictures..but nothing terribly helpful...looks like it's a shrouded system in which case the fan is actually attatched to the case?

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
DELL's fans are usually attached with 2 tabs that you have to release and then pull towards you out of the case. After you remove the green shroud(cover), push the 2 tabs towards the motherboard, youll be able to see them release. Then pull the whole fan assembly towards the left side (if youre lookin at your comp from the front). On the fan itself is a little DELL supplied guard, that usually is the cause of the noise you are hearing. So now you have the option of buying a better fan(more CFM - cubic feet per minute), or just simply remove the guard and reinstall the fan.
Thats where my DELL made noise, when I removed the guard the noise went away. But I still had overheating problems so I opted to get a fan that can move more air keeping it cooler.
-Pete.

billnliz

billnliz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah. The housing seems to be attached to the case with little L shaped like hooks that "hook" to the back but they seem a bit tough to just slide out. The fan itself seems like it will just pull out of there. Almost like its just set in there with glue or something. There is a bit of flexible give to it. I am afraid to pull to hard on these things and break them..lol

Thanks
Bill

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if there are L shaped little tabs..it seems like it would just take a bit of force...try wiggeling it out of there without breaking it

billnliz

billnliz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Success!! With your blessing for the wiggle and pull method I noticed some tabs and pulled those while forcing it up and it slid right out!..Thanks again

Bill