Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HP Pavillion case disassembly

• Please log in to reply

egraetze

egraetze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an HP Pavillion tower CPU. I believe the model number is 8674F, purchased in 2000. I want to add another hard drive to the computer. I tried disassembling in order to get at both sides of the chassis that holds the CDROM, DVD player and diskette drive. I opened the back, pivoted out the power supply, and slid off both sides of the case, as well as the top, but there is limited access on the right side of the case. There is a fairly intact panel with very few access holes. It appeared that I needed to pull off the front panel in order to allow the chassis to rock out in order to gain access to fasteners on the right side of the chassis. There is access to the 3 tabs on either side that appear to hold the front panel in, but even after releasing these 3 tabs, the front panel does not pull off. Does anybody know how to pull the front panel off in order to rock out the chassis holding the drives?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
look from the back of the machine along the sides of the front pannel are there any screws or other tabs?

egraetze

egraetze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No screws. Just 3 tabs on each side. When I release all 6 tabs, the panel still does not release. On the right side of the case where there is the piece of sheet metal that pretty much covers everything, there are just 3 access holes near the front panel. These 3 provide access to the tabs on the right side. I can find no additional screws or other tabs. The front panel simply does not pull out even with these 6 tabs released.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
hammer?....hmm...any tabs on the bottom? how bout INSIDE the case?

egraetze

egraetze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've looked all over the place inside the case with a flashlight and mirror. I don't see any additional fasteners. I don't want to force the front panel more that I had since I don't want to break anything. It would be nice to see some sort of exploded view of the case. I really wanted to get the drive chassis out of the way recently when I added more RAM to my computer. The slots are burried under the CDROM and DVD player. Fortunately, I was able to snake the cards under the CDROM and just barely press the cards in and engage the clips on the ends.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i hate hp....(dell does...or at least did similar stuff with thier cases)....the sheet metal that's in the way isn't the plate that the mobo hooks to is it? i've seen a few cases where you can slide that out or unscrew it from the mobo side....

egraetze

egraetze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The motherboard is on this sheetmetal on the right side of the case. There are too many connections that I simply don't want to disturb. If I can only pull off the front panel, I know that I can get this separate chassis in a position to mount the extra hard drive.