Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pre Installed xp home

• Please log in to reply

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I bought a computer with xp home pre installed on it
recently my motherboard got fried when my power supply died on me so im in the market for a new one and i since my cpu is getting old now i was going to upgrade my processor too
im assuming that windows will detect these changes and ill install some drivers and everything should be ok if i just use my hard drive i already have
but what happens if i need to reformat my computer
can i still use my restore disk's or will they not work anymore
would i be better off buying another computer with windows on it cause i dont really have all the money in the world to get a new mobo processor and fork out another $90 for xp

ok so i really just need to know what i would be better of doing
another mobo to replace my fried one
new mobo and processor
new computer

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Well, using the product recovery cds are designed for that particular system. Installing that version of windows on another machine is unlikely to work, unless it is the exact same computer. When you buy a motherboard with a different chipset to your previous motherboard you also have to reinstall XP. I'd just advise getting a new motherboard and maybe XP, an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ should be reasonably sufficient for todays programs. This is unless you play demanding games, and or run highly demanding programs. 1GB ram is also OK. 80GB is also a sufficient amount for the typical home user. Your GeForce FX5200 is terrible with nVidia drivers, however, if you use OmegaDrivers (www.omegadrivers.net) you should see a performance and/or quality improvement. What I would do, is just buy a new motherboard and XP.

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
so with a different chipset i would have to reinstall xp
that really sucks
i didnt think i would have to because i swapped a hard drive that was in a old pentium computer into an amd computer and i didnt have to reinstall windows
but this was with windows 98se
i was hoping it would work the same with xp
if not then ill try to find a mobo with the same chipset
and thanks for the info on the other drivers

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hard drives are not as important as the motherboard. The name motherboard, just means its the board that makes all connections possible around the computer, your current XP installation is built around that. If you put in another motherboard you will probably find many errors occur when booting up, and virtually having to re-install XP all in all again.

BTW, you said the PSU "died on you", how do you know your motherboard is fried?

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
replaced the psu and all that happens when i turn it on is the the psu fan is on and the heatsink for the cpu is on
i dont even get the led to tell me the computer is on
1 of my cd drives opens
i just went with what my tech teacher said
he didnt say it was fried its just a good possibility
i cant think of anything that would make this happen, checked all the connections twice, reseated the processor
is there anything else i should try first?

Edit: i guess these emachines mb's and psu's go out a lot, i was just going to get the same mb but it costs $150
I think thats rediculous so I found another one i might get... thats unless someone knows somthing else i can try to see if my mb is still good

Edited by AMD 2400, 23 March 2006 - 09:08 PM.

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
bump
edit

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Alright well I bought a new mobo and it works just fine except i need to purchase xp and reinstall it because the oem install wont let me get to windows because of the change
right now i dont have another $90 for xp so i have an idea and im really not sure if it will work or not
i was wondering that if i happened to have an xp cd if my product key on the back of my computer would work for it so i could do a repair install
if that wouldnt work is there anyway i could get it to work by putting my hd in another computer that has the same chipset as my old one and possibly installing the drivers for my new mobo from there?
or is my oem xp install still going to reject it because its not the oem mobo?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi AMD 2400...

If you can find a retail XP cd of the same version (SP1, SP2), you should be able to do an In-Place Upgrade (Repair Installation) using your product key. I can't guarantee this will work, but I have done this on several machines under similar circumstances and had it turn out just fine. I've also had them fail. It can be a real crap-shoot sometimes... :whistling:

wannabe1

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thank you for the good word
at least i know it is possible and that is enough to brighten my day
sp2 is installed on my computer right now
so does that mean i have to find a xp cd with sp2 already on it?
if i have one with sp1 would it still work and just lets say downgrade?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

if i have one with sp1 would it still work and just lets say downgrade?

Therein lies the rub. You can upgrade, but Windows won't let you downgrade without putting up a major fight. You'll get the "The software on your computer is newer than what you are trying to install" error and the only option offered will be to terminate the installation. :whistling:

You'll be way better off if you can beg, borrow, or....well...borrow an SP2 cd.

wannabe1

Advertisements

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Well ill have to see what i can do
i dont know many people that really know anything about computers
i was just going to borrow one from my tech teacher at school but then i remember that all the computers have xp pro
so the light has just turned off
there is always a small chance he might have a copy of xp home though so its still worth a shot
ill ask everyone i know tomorrow and see if anyone might have what i need

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I downloaded xp home with sp2 and burnt it as an iso
i boot it on my computer and it starts detecting all my hardware
when its nearly done i get a bad_pool_header error and it goes no further
is there anyway to resolve this or do i have to format my hd and try a clean install

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

I downloaded xp home with sp2 and burnt it as an iso

Where did you download XP SP2 from?

wannabe1

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i downloaded windows xp home off of limewire

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll need to get rid of that one...not only will it not work, but it is considered pirated software and the G2G Terms of Service prevent us from giving you help with it. Find someone who has a retail version you can borrow.

wannabe1