Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WORD shuts down when told to Print any document

• Please log in to reply

Kalira

Kalira

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I am running a freshly installed version of Microsoft Office 2000 with WORD as the program at issue. Office has been fully updated with the latest changes suggested by Microsoft.com and the printer has been uninstalled and then reinstalled. Simple virus scans (trendmicro, ewido, and so on, show no problems that I can detect or solve. Here's what's happening:

I can open any of my documents in WORD, and they seem correctly presented on the screen. I can rename or save any opened WORD document as well. I can make changes, etc. When I ask the computer to Print anything (even a blank or test page), however, I get the gray and white message telling me that there was an error and the program needs to shut down (send or don't sent message). The temporary revisions, which normally clear from the folder (in this case the Desktop) upon saving do not clear but remain in ~temp gray-out mode and must be manually deleted.

The printer is an HP 6110xi All In One printer, which has no such problem with any of the other computers on the LAN. Only this comuter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-- Kalira

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you print ANYTHING? like from notepad, a test page from the printer's properties menu? any other office programs? (excell, powerpoint, etc..)

Kalira

Kalira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

can you print ANYTHING? like from notepad, a test page from the printer's properties menu? any other office programs? (excell, powerpoint, etc..)

Yes. I can print from this same computer, through the LAN to the printer attached to another computer. Notepad, Excel, and so on. It's just WORD that blows off when asked to Print a document.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure if office 2000 has this function but in word click on help then detect and repair and let that do it's do ( if it's not there..if you go to add/remove programs and find either word or office than there should be a button that says change remove..press that and it will ask you if you want to uninstall or repair..choose repair..) you may need th office cd to do this

Kalira

Kalira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

i'm not sure if office 2000 has this function but in word click on help then detect and repair and let that do it's do ( if it's not there..if you go to add/remove programs and find either word or office than there should be a button that says change remove..press that and it will ask you if you want to uninstall or repair..choose repair..) you may need th office cd to do this

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I uninstalled Microsoft Office 2000 and reinstalled (from the original software CD) and then updated all of the Service Packs recommended by Microsoft. I deleted all of the printers I had and reinstalled only the one I am currently using (which was working fine two weeks ago on this very same computer). I then deleted and reinstalled " normal.dot " which WORD uses to set the parameters for its doc1.doc starting screen. I printed a test document from the fresh Office 2000 install, using the EXCEL program. Therefore, it is something in this particular computer that is in conflict with WORD, but not within the WORD program. Any ideas anyone?

Kalira

Kalira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Good news, everyone!

I finally uninstalled all of the software associated with any and all Hewlett Packard printers. The culprit, so it seems, was the latest and greatest HP software upgrade for its HP OfficeJet 6100 Series. Lots of great looking imaginng aids, stupid "HP Preview" feature that really sux if you are printing remotely on a LAN... since you have to go to the attached computer to click "OK" and HP tells me that there is no way to disable, cancel, destroy, or castrate the HP Preview handy dandy "feature." Anyway, having removed all of the HP software from my computers, I then reinstalled the BASIC drivers that come with the HP Printers I actually use, and none of the lovely "suite" of "features."

It seems that some nasty agent within the all new (last week) HP software upgrade messes with Microsoft Office's WORD program's file -- Normal.dot

It changed it somehow, so as to make is so very slick for HP. LOL

Anyway, what it was doing was changing it in some way that made Windows XP Professional not be able to see it, although the rest of Office 2000 ran perfectly. It could load the "fake" Normal.dot of course, so the program looked like it was running, but in fact, the documents loaded did not match the "template" WORD needs to have in the background in order to make the tool bars work and make the printing functions valid.

Thus, having removed all of the HP printer software and then only accepting the basic drivers that come from the installed machine alone (excluding all of the "handy" updates HP sends along from its B.S. website, I managed to solve the problem. All features working fine now, and one by one I have added each of the printers I use, allowing only those basic drivers that came with each originally.

I am very new to computers, but this I have learned: At least with respect to HP, what they give you for free on their software website is only worth exactly what you paid for it.

Anyway, thanks, everyone, for helping me out.

Kalira.

garpt

garpt

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi,
i was having similar probs downloading drivers from HP's website. About a week or two ago, everything was fine (same machine, same printer, same setup.) I had to reinstall xp pro, and this time had a heck of a time getting the printer to run.
it has something to do with a new app., comes up during download process, that looks into your machine for various hp-related things. When it asks if you wish to install that app., (sorry, forgot the name), select no and download drivers ONLY. then everything should be fine.
Gary