Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer Power/Restart Fact Or Fiction Thread

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
SO this is a great post i was happy to see... SO the legend that I had always heard was not that it puts wear and tear on the puter but that it actually uses less electricty then if you were to turn it on or off something like the power to turn it on could run the computer for like 10 days or something... I heard the same when i was in highschool about my TV or atleast thats what i would tell my parents... But now im interested if i turned my computer off daily would my electricity bill drastically go down or is it only a few dollars... Apparently after reading this im a total idiot because my computer has been running for about 3 1/2 years its an HP 2.26ghz and itt has also just been sitting on the carpet... I did dust the fan off inside once but other than that this thing still works like a charm except for the DVD burner i spilled coca cola in side of it yeah I know how in the world did you do that... But it still worked for like two years.. now if i try to burn something its only 1 out of about every 10 discs that work... Any ways im going to check my bills and see what happens ill let yall know...

• Technician
  • 1,569 posts
Fluorence light do take a lot of power to start them, but I have never heard that with regards to computers except that to spin a drive up take quite a bit of power.

The amount of money saved depends on how much you use it vs. the idle time. I recently got a power meter and hooked it up to an air filter which is 35w on the low setting. After a day it took over 1kW of power. You can compute (although I don't know the formula) the power comsumption, but small things can really add up over time.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Is it bad to constantly restart your pc, when you install software or just need to reboot because of errors, etc?