Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PSU failure, what to do

• Please log in to reply

sposes

sposes

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I wake up this mourning, power up and get a very loud noise. I first suspect the Hard drive but am suprized to find it is the Power Supply. Seems the fan is the culprit since capacitors dont realy make noice uh? Wanting to salvage the PSU I open it up carefull not to kill myself one one of the capacitors, i see the fan is soldered to the board, not pluged in, so I snip wires and long story shot replace the fan with another of identicle voltage and amp rateings. b ut when I plug everything back I see the system is getting no power at all.

So now should I cut corners and buy a cheap PSU replacement, I will be building a new computer in about a year from now. So should I buy a medium to high end psu that will be usefull for when i upgrade next year, or since this system is old and i only need another year, just buy a cheaper, PSU.

System is ATX, and the dead PSU is ATX Ver 2.0 with 20 pin connector. Think its like a 150W *sigh*

But what on earth sould cause the PSU to stop pumping out power, even if my solder connection was bad, worst would happen is overheat and smoke right?

Edited by sposes, 22 March 2006 - 12:08 PM.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Years ago I built a pc with a cheap power supply. Big mistake. Oh it lasted for awhile but one day I turned it on and nothing. The power supply shorted out and took out both of my hardrives. I tried both hardrives in my other pc but the bios wouldn't recognize them. They were scrap. I know it was a short because I had it plugged into a Brickwall surge suppressor and a APC ups.

Buy a quality psu like from pc power and cooling or a good antec. Look for the warranty on the outside of the box. If you don't see anything don't buy it. There will be a slip of paper inside telling you about their 90 day warranty.....

sposes

sposes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks, I will be looking for a quality PSU with warenty.

So PSU failure can really damage hardware?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I suspect that your PSU just burnt out, which is what caused the fan to fail to start with. In other words, replacing the fan wouldn't have made any difference anyway.

I agree with macten that it is worth investing in a decent PSU. However, before you do, just check that your old PSU is a standard ATX one. A lot of systems that use 150W PSU's, actually have SFX power supplies, not ATX. The connectors are the same but SFX is physically smaller. Is the computer a major brand one, such as HP or Dell for example?

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
The antec smart power 2.0 500 watt PSU I have installed is both a 20 and 24 pin connector, so you could use something like that. Obviously you probably dont need a PSU with that much wattage, but you could probably find a cheaper version. And anyway PSU are relatively cheap compared to the rest of the components in the system. It would seem silly not to go out and buy a new one.
-Pete.

sposes

sposes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Is the computer a major brand one, such as HP or Dell for example?

No, its homemade by a good friend of mine who gave it too me, he has since passed away from cancer.
The PSU is prity large, Says ATX 2.0 on label. I know for sure that it is an ATX 20 pin connector. But the case I actualy replaced last year, the PSU was easy tp transport from old case to new.

On the other hand, what about the Case/PSU combos, are the PSU units in those any good, cause besides when I changed the case on this i somehow loast the I/O shield, and Ive come to not like the sharp edges on this one.

I do remember the connector on the MOBO where the case plugs the front pannel stuff into is at the rear of the case, so it was a good stretch to get them to plug in and the speaker was not long enough at all so I left it Disconnected and installed a spare Speaker.

So if i buy a combo, i might have a problem with short wires again maybe?

sposes

sposes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok just measured it, size is 6 inch by 3 1/4 inch

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Assuming that 3 1/4 inch is the height & the width/length is 6in x 5.5in approx, then its standard size. Either way, if the machine is a custom build then it should be fine.

The PSU's you get supplied with cases are generally fairly poor quality (unless of course you buy an extremely good brand of case). You'd probably be better off keeping the case & just buying a decent PSU instead.

sposes

sposes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks, yes you were correct about dimensions. About the case thing, this reminds me of the computer I built for a client, it was an Aopen case with PSU, since it was brand name would that have been a decent quality or does it all depend?

sposes

sposes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok so I found a retailer near me and a good selection of PSU, only one is antec, some look like they would be good quality.

http://www.toppc.ca/...c5205b1902cab56

I think i need about 350W to 400W, so I see of cource the generic I would not buy, but what about the 630W PSU with three fans, price seems too good to be true?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmm, the problem with the high quality 3 fan PSU you mentioned, is that they do not state the manufacturer or any of the PSU specs. The things you need to look for are thermal protection, over-voltage protection, over-current protection & over-load protection.

Personally, I would go with the Thermaltake 430W PSU for $45.

sposes

sposes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok so ive made my desicion to buy the Thermaltake TR2 430W W0070, After reading your sugestion I did some research and found some customer reviews, seems its a good PSU, and now I cant wait.

Only thing remains I see that indeed it has a 20(24) pin ATX connector, and has aditional 4pin 12V connector, are these 12V connectors standard and if I shal buy a Pentuim 4 or Celeron D proccessor in the future should this 4pin power connector be compatable? And is this a v2.0 or v1.3 ATX and does it matter? whats the differnce?

http://www.tr2tt.com...970/w006970.htm

Im gona phone a wholesaler ive dealt with before tomorow and see what he can get it for, hope its cheaper otherwize im just gona but it from Canadasys, they dont have any beter buisness breau complaints.

Edited by sposes, 26 March 2006 - 10:42 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The PSU will be ATX v2.0. The 4 pin 12V connector will be standard. If your motherboard uses this connector (some do, some don't) then it will be fine, otherwise you won't need it anyway.

This PSU has a 24pin ATX connector & your system uses 20pin ATX. Normally this would require you to purchase a 24pin to 20pin adapter cable, however looking at the specs in that link, it 'looks' like the ATX connector can be turned into a 20pin one by detaching the end section of the ATX plug.

If it turns out that this is not the case & you only have a 24pin connector on the psu, then you need to buy an adapter such as this one :

http://www.xpcgear.c...to20pinatx.html

sposes

sposes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks, so as long as i verify that it can intercange between 20 and 24 I should be fine. I greatly apreciate everyones help, and patience.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome. Let us know how you get on :whistling: