Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot print using usb drive

• Please log in to reply

ron45

ron45

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a dell inpiron 5150 notebook and a brother mfc5100c printer, my computer no longer will recognize when I plug in the usb from the printer thus I can't print anything. My documents I want printed are pending, how can I fix my usb drive.

Advertisements

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi ron45,

I suggest trying this: START > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > HARDWARE (Tab) > Click DEVICE MANAGER

Expand (click on +) "Other Devices" and you should see "USB Device". Right click there and choose "Scan for Hardware changes". That should make your pc recognise it. I'm assuming you have the driver of the printer (the Driver you get with the printer) installed, otherwise let me know. Hope it helped

Alan :tazz:

ron45

ron45

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That did not fix my problem, I also tried uninstalling the usb drives and then hitting scan for changes and reinstalling them. that also did not work, when I go to control panel - printers/fax - right click my printer and click properties - ports usb is checked but after that it says virtual port, is that the problem

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hey ron45,

Sorry for the late reply, but I'm a bit busy at the moment. Regarding your problem, I don't think I can help you more. Sorry. :blink: I Hope you'll manage to solve it. If you do, let us know how please :whistling:

Alan