Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

software suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

gomerj

gomerj

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
my HDD just died a couple days ago and ive had to replace it. obviously ive lost all my data and am starting fresh.

could someone please recommend the antivirus and malware software that i should install? i was using NOD32 - is there anything that is better? and what are the best malware programs to get?

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Many helpers are reluctant to post what anti-viral programs they prefer -- everyone has their own favorites. Many of the guys here on the board like NOD32. I use the free AVG-Grisoft anti-viral. I also run lavasoft adaware and spyware blaster. I also have a good firewall. That's all I run.

gomerj

gomerj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi C

thanks for the help. i think ill stick with NOD.

what do you think about anti-spyware protection programs such as spywareblaster and spywareguard? they are recommended by "spyware expert Eric Howes" at http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm. (i found this link in the How-to remove malware guides and tutorials)

Edited by gomerj, 22 March 2006 - 01:37 PM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Spyware Blaster is necessary, IMO and it's free. I know some people like Spyware Guard, but I'm of the school of thought that less is better. I dont use spyware guard, but one of the administrators here advocates it's use. Its up to you. :tazz:

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi gomerj,

I personally use the following, as I found them to be the best :tazz:

Anti-Spyware: Ad-Aware SE & Spybot S&D
Malware: AVG
Firewall: Zone Alarm - http://www.zonelabs....reeDownload.jsp

Alan :)

gomerj

gomerj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
ok - thanks for your thoughts.

my last question is in regards to firewalls. could you possible explain what they are and what they do? i know i had enabled mine...but didnt really understand why (just thought it was a good idea).

cheers

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
A Firewall is a system which limits network access between two or more networks. Normally, a Firewall is deployed between a trusted, protected private network and an untrusted public network.

Alan :tazz:

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
also if you have a bit of spare cash, you might want to consider buying xoftspy for antispyware. It's the only thing I'll install on my comp and in my opinion, there's no need for anything else. It picks up and removes far more than ad-aware or anything else. I once got a serious malware infection because I stupidly opened a file that installed hundreds of items. Tried everything before that. then 2 scans with xoftspy and everything was back to normal.

http://www.xoftspy.co.uk/

gomerj

gomerj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
thanks - i appreciate the advice!