Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound

• Please log in to reply

honeybee

honeybee

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I can't figure out this problem. :tazz: I now have no sound from my speakers. I thought it was bad speakers, so I bought new ones, that wasn't the problem. The cords are all plugged in correctly. I have went to device manager, there is not conflicts anywhere and it says sound card, ess ellegro, is running properly. PLEASE HELP! I do a lot of work on my computer and can't stand not being able to listen to music!
Thank you!

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Did your sound used to work and then suddenly just stop? Did you make any changes right before they stopped? Install anything? Update drivers?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

honeybee

honeybee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, the sound use to work then just quit. Don't believe I did any changes at all before this happened! Any suggestions!
Thank you!

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Reboot into "Safe Mode" by pressing F8 right after the first screen on your pc when you first turn it on. Now select "Safe Mode" from the list. Go into "Device Manager" again and check for device conflicts. The reason for this is because with 98 and ME there can be devices called "Ghost Devices". That is when you have previously installed hardware and then you installed something different later on without uninstalling the old hardware. The drivers are still there from the old device waiting for the hardware to be plugged in, but it's not going to be. If you find any conflicting devices just uninstall and remove them. Reboot and check again.

honeybee

honeybee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello! I did what you said in "Safe Mode". Still shows that there are no conflicts. I am soooo confused! Please let me know what I should do next.
Thank You!
Melissa

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Find out in "Device Manager" what sort of sound card you have. Get the model and brand all that info and download the drivers for it from the manufacturer's website, or use the disk if you have it. Or you can go here:

http://www.driverguide.com

username: driver2
password: all

Find the correct drivers. Now uninstall your sound card, or any other sound cards installed through device manager. Reboot the machine and install the freshly downloaded drivers and reboot. Hopefully this will work.

honeybee

honeybee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried to do what you told me, but can't seem to figure it out. I have Ess Allegro sound card. Driver is es198x.vxd version 4.7.0.7067 I checked for the driver at Microsoft update, and at driverguide.com. According to them, ess technology is out of business. I have searched quite a few sites and can't seem to find that driver anywhere. Is there anything more that I can try?

honeybee

honeybee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, just another update, I went to selective quick restore on my pc, and reinstalled the sound card driver from there and still no sound!
Thank you,
Melissa