Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows ME to XP, Possible?

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I am fixing a friends computer, and I am also installing windows XP on it from Windows ME. I would prefer an upgrade so he doesn't loose things he has. I read this page http://www.winsupers...g_9xupgrade.asp, all about upgrading from ME to XP. In the screenshots, it shows the XP install type "Upgrade", I am only shown New Install. I'd prefer to upgrade, anybody know how? - The XP I am using is XP SP2.

And for any questions asking the specs:

Old Packard Bell:

Intel Celeron 950Mhz /w MMX Tech
256MB PC133 RAM
20GB HDD
DVD Reader

Its still pretty nippy in ME, considering the computer is 5 years old its very fast (a good spec for 2001 too, I suppose).

Edited by SuperSam, 22 March 2006 - 05:54 PM.

Advertisements

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i think it may be possible but u may need to get some more ram, put it up to 512mb,

its possible

-ankush

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
If I remember correctly, you NEED an upgrade CD in order to upgrade. If you have a full CD, it will only do a full install.

If I were you, I'd back up all important stuff before continuing.

Or...you could dual-boot the computer...have ME and XP...and then use a file/settings transfer program to transfer everything to the XP one, and then get rid of the ME. However, that will be rather complicated...

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
No, Ankush.

XP only need 128MB of ram, it has 256MB of ram, and that is sufficient. When I try to install XP on its own over the packard bell install, it doesn't have the drivers for the motherboard and fails the install. This is when I realised upon microsoft putting SP2 on my XP disk it has removed old drivers. This is why I put on Windows 98, then Windows ME, then was looking at upgrading to XP. It has sufficient specs. I know it might install if I have my Win XP /w SP1 CD, but I seem to have lost that.

Thanks computerwiz, I think my grandad bought one of the earlier versions of XP, I'll see if that will upgrade.