Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New build: Do I need a chipset fan?

• Please log in to reply

fantasymon

fantasymon

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm veering off of another post I had about my motherboard reading 83 degrees celcius.

The person asked if my chipset fan was working.

Do all computers have chipset fans? Where does it go? I tried to google this but didn't really come up with too much......Is this different than the fan on top of the heatsink?

I just built my first computer this week and didn't know I needed a "chipset fan".

I have an Mach Speed AMD 754 socket motherboard.

I haven't had any problems with the computer (only had it for 3 days) but I would think that if the motherboard really was 83C that I woulnd't be able to type this right now.

THANKS,
Grant

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most motherboard makers do not put fans on the northbridge or southbridge chipsets. Overclockers will put fans on them simply because the overclocking can run temps up. You can usually put your finger on the heatsink of the chipsets and they may be very warm. I have not found any that i could not keep my finger on the heatsink.

83°C is 181° F and that is too hot to touch( boiling point of water is 212). Your sensor on the motherboard may be bad. Have you tried runing speedfan to see what temps you get with it?

You can also go into the bios and see what temps are there. I'll bet they are normal in the 40-60 degree range for the processor and probably in the 30's on the motherboard. My amd 2400 runs 41 for the processor and 28 for the MB at idle according to speedfan. The biostar Mb was set to 78 degrees to overload shutdown the computer from the factory.

SRX660

fantasymon

fantasymon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the response!

In my bios I could only find the temperatures of my cpu (38C) and my System Temp (37C).
I used speedfan and Everest Ultimate Edition to find out my motherboard temp. They both said it was around 85C! The motherboard is only 1 week old: MachSpeed K8M8MSR2.

I tried to flash the bios in DOS to the one on the website but it says "Insufficcent Memory".

Edited by fantasymon, 23 March 2006 - 08:23 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Temperature readings should be taken with a pinch of salt.

According to Speedfan, if I set it up incorrectly, my CPU temperature is reported at -73 degrees C and my Motherboard at -107 degrees C. Go figure.

The system temperature reading is usually the same as the motherboard temperature. It may well be that the sensor that's telling you your motherboard is 85 degrees isn't actually connected to anything and is therefore just throwing up 85 degrees in the absence of any other information - my spare sensor throws up -1 degrees C.

fantasymon

fantasymon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey thanks for the response.

I called the motherboard manufacturer today and the guy said that it was because there was some feature that the Mach Speed motherboard's don't include (Ball bearing?? or something like that I can't remember).

But he said its normal for the motherboard to have a wrong temperature reading and to just go off the CPU and system temp.

MachSpeed has great tech support though. Got through to the guy in like 5 seconds.

anyways,
Thanks