Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 desktop not loading

• Please log in to reply

segerkm

segerkm

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
The computer starts up normally, but the desktop never loads... all I get is a blue screen (but it's not the "blue screen of death"). It basically looks like the desktop, but without desktop icons and no Start bar. No error messages. Same thing happens if I try to run Safe Mode.

Pressing Ctrl+Esc does not make the Start menu appear, but pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete does open the Task Manager. From here I can start just about any application (so long as I can find its executable file). The only application that will not launch in this manner is Internet Explorer (no error message, nothing happens at all). AOL, however, does run, and so I have a browser (if that's what you want to call it, lol!).

I have gone through all the steps on the topic about removing spyware/malware except for running a local virus scan. I use Trend Micro Pc-cillan Internet Security 2006. The main console launches, but when I try to update or run a scan I get a message that says the application is still loading and to try again later. The last update was on March 17 and the last scan was on March 18. I've run the Trend Micro Housecall scan twice.

Any suggestions?

P.S. If I need to launch an application to do anything you suggestion, please point me in the right direction as to where to find the executable for it. I've been able to find most of them, but some elude me (such as Windows Explorer and Control Panel). Thanks!

~Kathleen

Advertisements

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
This Microsoft KB article describes exactly the problem I'm having, but I do not have any of those files in the root C:\ drive or C:\WINNT folder.

I found a couple of other articles related to this problem. mIIRC is not installed on this PC. Another article indicated this problem could occur after installing a particular IE patch. I don't know if it's supposed to be or not, but IE (or any patches specific to IE) is not listed as an installed application in the Add/Remove Programs window.

I reinstalled IE 6.0 (from the original installation file I found in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer). Problem continued. Ran Microsoft Update (again - I did this earlier this evening before making my first post) and reinstalled all the relevant patches that got uninstalled when I reverted to an older version of IE 6.0. Still nothing.

Also, the Start bar flashes briefly right before the screen goes blank.

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
If anyone is willing to try and tackle this one, I still haven't figured it out and could use some help. Thanks!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Go back to the C:> attrib -s -h -r *.dll enter
c:> dir|more enter can you see the file
shdocvw.dll if yes rename it reboot

Edited by peterm, 14 April 2006 - 04:09 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you installed a program called friends greeting latley?

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Go back to the C:> attrib -s -h -r *.dll enter
c:> dir|more enter can you see the file
shdocvw.dll if yes rename it reboot

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little DOS-challenged, though. Am I supposed to type "attrib -s -h -r *dll" at the C:\> command line? If so, it's not working. If I put a space between the "r" and the asterisk, I get "File not found - *.dll." If I remove the space, I get "Invalid switch - -s*.dll."

In any case, I previously checked for shdocvw.dll in both the root C: and C:\WINNT folder and the file does not exist.

To the best of my knowledge, "Friends Greeting" is not installed on the PC. I didn't install it, but I have a teenage son who uses the computer (though he just said he's never heard of it). I can't remember the command to bring up the Control Panel to see if it's listed in the Add/Remove Programs list, but I previously looked at all the applications listed there and don't remember seeing it.

Any other ideas?

Kathleen

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Kathleen
Sorry I should have told you you type everything I put in blue and what is in red is what you do.
There is a space between each one.

Also this
No desktop

If not this I will have to get serious

Edited by peterm, 14 April 2006 - 10:43 PM.

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I found that MS bulletin, too. Unfortunately, mIRC's not installed. But at least it reminded me how to open the Add/Remove Programs window and I was able to confirm that "Friends Greeting" is not installed.

One thing I have noticed (because I've constantly got Task Manager open) is that something is eating up major processor resources. It's almost constantly at 90-100% usage (occasionally dropping down to 60-70%). tmproxy.exe (Trend Micro) is using something like 85,000K of memory, which seems really high (on my other PC, it's using less than 11,000K - but I'm running Win XP on that one, so maybe the resources are managed differently).

So what does "serious" entail? Can I get you a cup of coffee? Or a beer? I'm headed to bed, but I'll check back tomorrow. Thanks again!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok lets setup a new profile and see if that works.
can you get to control panel (control.exe)
01. Create a new temporary account and assign it the same rights and group membership as the suspect account.

02. Logon as the new temporary user.

03. Log off and log on with administrative privileges.

04. Open Control Panel / System / User Profiles.

05. Select the suspect profile and press Copy To.

06. Press the Browse button and select the new temporary account in the Documents and Settings folder.

07. Press OK.

08. Press Change under Permitted to use and set the appropriate permissions.

09. Press OK.

10. Log off and log on as the new temporary user.

If you experience the the same suspect behavior, the profile is corrupt.

NOTE: If you do not experience the same behavior, the suspect account is corrupt and must be deleted and re-created.

To fix the corrupt profile:
1. Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the corrupt profile in the Documents and Settings folder.

2. Delete the user profile folder.

3. When the user logs on, a new profile will be created.

Edited by peterm, 15 April 2006 - 03:09 PM.

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
What's the executable for Control Panel? I couldn't find this the other day. I thought it was control.exe, but nothing happens when I type that on the command line in the Create New Task window. Thanks!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
control.exe did not work?
Hmmmmm Be back in a sec

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Never mind (sort of), I found the command to the Control Panel, but it won't open. I'm getting "There was a problem sending the command to the program." Gah. Can I get to the User Accounts window without going through the Control Panel (like I did for Add/Remove programs)?

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, but there is only one user account/profile on the PC and it already has Admin priviledges.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I will have to boot 2000 up
control userpasswords will let you change passwords but can't remember if it will let you create a new account from there. When it is booted to 2000 - (takes a while) I will see what is needed

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Never mind (sort of), I found the command to the Control Panel, but it won't open. I'm getting "There was a problem sending the command to the program." Gah. Can I get to the User Accounts window without going through the Control Panel (like I did for Add/Remove programs)?

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, but there is only one user account/profile on the PC and it already has Admin priviledges.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
try control folders
try control users

Edited by peterm, 15 April 2006 - 03:32 PM.